News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wide Whitewall Tires...what brand?

Started by meteor, 2007-12-03 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

I'm having a hard time deciding on which WWW's to put on the Ranch Wagon - it's between BFGoodrich Silvertown Radials (from Coker) and Diamondback Radials (not sure which tire yet). Size will be P215/75R15 but I might decide to runner something a little wider in the rear.

So what do you have to say about these brands? or any other brand for that matter. One thing is for sure, I want those babies to stay bright white, no cracking or turning brown.

thanks
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

cool57

I have Coker BFG Silvertowns on my '57 and I have no complaints. They ride great, they haven't discolored in 10 years. Have heard good things about DB also. With DB you can get a variety of brands, Michelin etc.

meteor

I haven't found too much on the BFG's and a 10-year testimonial is exactly what I like to hear, thanks.

May I ask, how do you keep them clean? I've heard not to use the Westley's stuff. thx

cool57

Quote from: meteor on 2007-12-04 20:22
I haven't found too much on the BFG's and a 10-year testimonial is exactly what I like to hear, thanks.

May I ask, how do you keep them clean? I've heard not to use the Westley's stuff. thx

I've always used Westley's haven't seen any problems. Next new set I buy I'll try the newly recommended cleaners just to see if there is a difference.

Curt J

I went with the BFG Silvertowns on my '57 Sunliner and am quite pleased with them so far.

shopratwoody

Westley's has always worked good for me. When I was a kid it was Comet cleanser.We used brake fluid on Blackwalls then too. How times have changed :burnout:
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

hotrodbob

Quote from: cool57 on 2007-12-04 17:21
I have Coker BFG Silvertowns on my '57 and I have no complaints. They ride great, they haven't discolored in 10 years. Have heard good things about DB also. With DB you can get a variety of brands, Michelin etc.

Be carefull about tires that old. A few years ago I had a tire let go that was about that age. Lots of tread and no cracks. Car is garage kept and only driven on weekends and nice days. Age kills the tires as the rubber looses the ability to flex easy and it fails. Cost me a fender, brake lines and a new pair of shorts.
Anyone can restore a classic car, but it takes a real hot rodder to cut one up and make it cool.
http://bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

meteor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ordered my BFG Silvetrowns yesterday from Coker. They'll even mount and balance them (no charge) on the new wheels.

Now i just need a car to put them on...

cool57

Quote from: hotrodbob on 2007-12-20 14:13
Be carefull about tires that old. A few years ago I had a tire let go that was about that age. Lots of tread and no cracks. Car is garage kept and only driven on weekends and nice days. Age kills the tires as the rubber looses the ability to flex easy and it fails. Cost me a fender, brake lines and a new pair of shorts.
You are right. I thought of that as I was typing the post. Times goes by so darn fast! I'll be looking at new tires in the spring. I hope to wearout a set  someday. I used to before I "restored" the car.