News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

differential yoke length?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-05 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm looking for the overall length of the differential yoke for the driveshaft. Mine was a 6 cyl, manual tranny oem, so I'm assuming it's got the 28 spline yoke. As Boss-Cyclone mentioned, I can gain some additional engagement at the tranny with a longer yoke off the differential. I've already found some with varying overall lengths, but I need to know what the oem overall length is to compare.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Boss/Cyclone

Check out this link.  I think our 57's have the 4 inch version.  But I am not 100% sure as this is my first 57.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c58_ford_9_inch.html
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the link...they've got  better explanation/diagrams/info than what I found so far. Picked up on different yokes for different folks bearing sizes, so I'll wait until I get my rearend redone and replace the yoke when I know what I'm ending up with. Hopefully my oem is a 4"...replacing it with a 5 will be an easy solution.

rmk57

The only ones I'm familiar with are the regular ford 28 spline that came on most run of the mill Mustangs, Fairlanes, etc, and the shorter version that came on hipo Fords that used the Daytona pinion support.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

did a little more reading on that link from Denny's driveshafts. The FAQ sections was very informative. The slip yoke on the front should have a minimum of 3/4" non engagement, with "no more than 1" being necesary". The 3/4" is more than I thought, so I may not be that far off, in fact I think I'm at about 1 1/4 just eyeballing. That means that a standard 5" replacing the 4" would actually make the driveshaft too long. As I mentioned before, I need to wait anyways til I figure out what my center section is going to need, and after new springs, and changing pinion angle if necessary...all things that could affect driveshaft length.
Mosers and others makes yokes that vary from the oem style standard 4 or 5"