News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parts cleaning help

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-02-09 10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

The main purpose I went to 29 Palms was to pick up the floor panel that goes behind the rear seat in my Ranch Wagon.  This floor panel has some 58 year old vinyl material glued to this floor panel.  I have tried just about everything I can think of to remove this vinyl covering.  Those of you that have dealt with this how did you remove the old covering?  Here is what I've done so far I first started with a hand scraper, then I used a power carver with a 1/4 inch blade that works very slowly, next paint thinner and Denatured alcohol and the above said scrapers as far as I can tell that the alcohol or thinner does not cut the glue I bought one of those vibrating cutter scrappers and that works but it leaves behind a lot of material.  Anyone with some solutions for cleaning off the left over vinyl and glue?

rmk57

Lacquer thinner should loosen it up. I would use a fan or do it outside to keep lots of air movement, or use a respirator.

My Edsel wagon had the same plastic covering and it came off in big chunks, never tried to remove the glue though.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Raven Rider

I'm doing this outside for sure.

SkylinerRon

Maybe commerical chemical striping.
That old linoleum is full of asbestos.
Dennis Carpenter sells repop material.
Goodluck and be safe with it,

Ron.

rmk57

You could also try a heat gun, just don't think it would generate enough though.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Raven Rider

I did try heat it just laughed at my attempt to remove it.  I talked to Redi-Strip and they are going to give it a try unless I find a good way to remove the panels.

RICH MUISE

I would think the only way a heat gun would work is if you were able to heat the metal enough from the backside to loosen the glue. Heating from the front side.... that stuff is a pretty good insulator.
BTW, Jerry...I'll be out your way in about a month.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

rich give me a call we can meet at the pav

RICH MUISE

Will do. The weekend (Fri, 13th) I arrive is the Goodguys show also...the reason for that particular arrival date. We'll get there on Friday, and I'll do the Goodguys Sat followed by the Pavilion. Were you planning on the GG show?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

not sure about GG but Pav yes