News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Padded dash question

Started by Ron, 2016-11-04 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic

racton

:unitedstates:you guys do some amazing things.   racton

Ron

Rich

Beautiful work on the dash, center console, door panels, and all else.  What a huge amount of work!  Question: what is the sound deadener I see you used on the floors?  I'm curious if it's an effective and less expensive alternative to Dynamat?  Thanks, Ron

RICH MUISE

It's self adhesive roofing underlayment....often called ice shield.  Definetly less expensive. As efficient? who knows, probably not, But I also have 3/8 aluminum covered felt-like carpet padding (can't remember the name). I have no big issues with sound or heat comming off the floor...at least that I can hear with all the wind noise coming thru the doors, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

"what a huge amount of work involved here!!! I like the idea of using rubber coating on the foam. I will have to rethink my strategy a few times."
Tons of work...one thing leading to another. In that pic looking down on the cowl, you can see the first version of the wiper hard arm system I had to go with so that I could use the Mustang wiper motor, which was needed to make the wiper switch on the steering column function...lol..until this morning I thought I had the only 50's car around with variable speed intermittent wipers.
DJ....Here in the states that coating is sold under the name "Snow Roof". It can be brushed on, but it does not flow out well at all, so any brush marks will show. It took forever to sand it smooth enough. Gluing down vinyl is just like paint...it doesn't hide much, just emphasizes flaws. If I do anything else, I'll experiment with foam brushes, maybe even reducing for spraying, but the stuff is pretty thick. It is white, and when I recovered the dash the second time I had the not-so-briliant idea of trying the aerosol rubber coating sold everywhere over here. My thoughts were maybe a smoother finish, but it wasn't and also it does not adhere well to the white rubber I already had on there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, isn't it amazing how we come up with new ideas to make live difficult all the time ?  :003:
It is exactly like your statemant of ' I can do that, yes, I ...well...' and then we're stuck again in the middle of a huge problem that causes further problems and so on... I can only imagine how many hours you spent in planning and actually building your dash. it came out great ! I think I know the rubber paint you mean. It is available here to paint whitewalls on tires and it really feels like rubber ( of course it doesn't last on tires). My friend works in an orthopaedist business and they are making special wheel chairs and seats for disabled people. they use natural rubber foam and before covering it with vinyl they use rubber paint. I will ask him what it is. I know that he is sanding their foam and rubber to match the patients figure, all the time.