News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Saginaw power steering box

Started by DanTudor57, 2017-01-03 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

I've read all the discussion on using the Saginaw power steering box for our cars. I just saw this on ePay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Ford-power-steering-box-/222365570911?hash=item33c605575f:g:MecAAOSw9GhYassD&vxp=mtr

This is the first time I have seen pictures of this set up. Anyone using this on their cars now?

I have a complete '57 correct steering setup that I am planning to completely rebuilt -- ram, pump, all brackets, etc...  i don't want to second guess myself, but this saginaw box option seems like a pretty straight forward bolt on to me without going through tedious rebuild of the stock system.

The pictures of this eBay auction really caught my attention. Is this the ABS system? it isn't Gearheads...

RICH MUISE

I don't know anything about them, but can't be a straight bolt on.....there's no steering column shaft, so there's, at the minimum, those mods.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Super deal but read between the lines.  I am NOT familiar with this conversion kit so I would confirm the application.  The listing doesn't mention much.  Is it car or truck?  '57 and '58 pitman arms are different.  Power steering and manual pitman arms are different.  What pump is recommended?  It is listed as used so what vehicle was it removed?  Seller has lower number.  If this listing fits a '57 car, it shouldn't still be available!!!!  $150 is a smoking deal!

clusterbuster

I don't quite understand the use of the bracket shown in the picture. It states it goes on the outside of the frame. If that bracket has to be bolted to the box first and then the unit be bolted to the frame, it may not have enough clearance between the engine exhaust with the Y Block V8. Last year I ordered one that was sold on Ebay for the 1952 through 1964 Ford full size vehicles. The box came with an adapter plate similar to your picture, and after attaching it to the box, the unit would not fit. The outfit screwed me with a $200 restocking fee when I returned it. They claimed the box was a Nissan reworked box. I went with the Borgeson conversion unit and it fits real nice after modifying the steering column end where it fits the box. A bit pricey, but worth it.

lalessi1

Here is an interesting Hemmings article on the steering box. Apparantly it came on some Fords as well.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2007/09/Quick-ratio-steering-boxes/1508711.html
Lynn

gasman826

The steering box holes don't align with the OEM holes.  New holes will need to be drilled in the frame.  These new holes will not have a tube inside the frame to keep it from crushing at the bolts.  The provided plate goes on the outside of the frame to act like a big washer to keep from crushing the frame.

clusterbuster

That explains the use of the bracket on the outside. Thanks. Sounds like a good deal if it don't leak etc. Good luck. As indicated, the steering column has to be modified to work, and my Borgeson unit would not work with the 3 speed standard shift column , so I installed a Hurst floor shift kit.

DanTudor57

I heard from the seller. Unfortunately, seller notes that it will not work with standard shift -- which is a must for me.

Still seems like a good option for someone with an automatic.

"I installed on '57 Ford with 427FE engine with FPA headers. Had no clearance issues. It is a GM Saginaw box and requires a Saginaw pump. I purchased a re-built 605 box from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and installed a '58 Ford Pitman shaft with two teeth ground off (same thing '57 Chevrolet guys do). You will have to shorten your steering shaft and use a connector to hook this up. Cannot make column shift standard linkage work. I don't have pictures of it installed. This unit worked well on my car but like all cars with this 605 box, there was little if any road feel."