News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power gear box from ABS

Started by johns2000, 2008-11-17 14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

Anyone hear or know of anyone who has tried the power gear box from ABS? It uses your pitman arm, ( which they re machine) and the rest of the stock steering componets. You have to supply the pump and they have hoses that you can purchase.

Thanks

57Cust300

Haven't tried it but I am seriously considering this box for mine. I also would like to hear from some who have used this one.

KULTULZ

Quote from: johns2000 on 2008-11-17 14:11

Anyone hear or know of anyone who has tried the power gear box from ABS? It uses your pitman arm, ( which they re machine) and the rest of the stock steering componets. You have to supply the pump and they have hoses that you can purchase.

Thanks

Do you have a website for the box and I am assuming non-power assist steering linkage is used?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

johns2000

Just to let everyone know I've purchased this power steering box and will let everyone know how it works out!! I've done a preliminary mock up and it seems like it will work just fine, it uses stock mounting holes but need to enlarge two holes on the pump or use bushings and two smaller bolts. The pitman arm went right back in the drag link opening with no problems. After I finish smoothing the firewall, installing the disc brakes, install new steering column I will reinstall the pump and set the wagon back down on the ground to check how well it turns. The website is ABS power steering.                               

KidKourier

Johns2000,    Is the kit that you purchased the one listed for 1957-64 full size Fords? Can you use a stock '57 power steering pump and does it have enough pressure? What about the 567 steering box you asked about(same company) is it a bolt on for the '57 or would you have to  fab an adapter to make it work?What type of steering box are they using for the above kit and do you know the steering ratio? Will you be able to use the stock steering column to box or use one from Flaming River or Ididit?Sorry about all the questions but this looks like an alternative to the rack&pinion steering with no loss of turning radius. KID

johns2000

Kid

I'm not sure if you can use your stock pump, I had manual steering to begin with and had purchased a power steering pump from a 72 Ford thunderbird which is really a Chevy pump that Ford started using to save space in the early 70's and as luck would have it this is the pump they recommend for the 567 power gearbox. It's a small teardrop style pump about 2 1/2" deep and 6-7" high with it's own reservoir. You can use your stock steering column but you have to cut it down some, I'm doing a ididit column so it didn't matter. From what I can tell it uses the stock mounting holes and the pitman looks to be aligned just right but I'
ve only done a preliminary mock up!! I can't remember the lock to lock but I do know you won't loose any turning radius and I've heard you loose quite a bit with the R/P system. This is not a modified box and I've only heard good things so we will see. Give them a call and I'm sure they will answer all your questions, I must of called them 4 times and did some serious reading before deciding to buy.

John

KidKourier

Thanks for the info John and let us know how everything works out after you do the final install,especially the stock pitman arm if it works with the box!  Agin,good luck with your steering project and the info! KID

KULTULZ

The pump being referred to is a {{{{{ shudder }}}}} GM Saginaw pump and they were used on 70's era intermediate FORDS that also used Saginaw power boxes. They are not as noisy as FORD pumps and are recommended on most R & P swaps due to correct pressure/volume.

Here is a tech article describing retrofit onto a later 5.0L-

http://www.azbronco.org/tech08.htm
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

johns2000

That's correct, Ford used this power steering pump on a lot of Fords to save space on the larger motors with A/C etc.

57Cust300

All, I have installed the 567 box in my Custom 300 and really like it. The installation was straight forward. I did have to modify the steering column ( shortened about 8 inches ) As for the stock power steering pump, the one that I was using would pulse badly at low RPM. While recently in the UK I picked up an electric power steering pump from a Citroen Saxo and it works really well. I now have power steering just by turning on the ignition. As for the 567 box, I would recommend it.