News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

275 width fitment. Who Has'm or Has Tried?

Started by wilnutt, 2019-01-12 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

The 8" rim will help the clearance by reducing the section width.  Unfortunately, it will also reduce the down pressure on the outside edges of the tire.  The tire may wear prematurely in the center and may also impact the performance of the tire by not having a flat, full tread contact patch.  None of this matters much if they fit.  Another issue is that maybe size does NOT matter.  The section width and thread width should be considered more than just the size.  Thread width, section width, and rim recommendations vary between manufacturers and models within the same manufacturer for the same size tire.  For example, my Pirelli performance tires have a wider thread and section width that Perelli's same size SUV tire.

lalessi1

Well I finally did get my  15 x 8 wheels with 275/60 tires on the back of my Custom. Here are the facts on my car. With 5.25" Back Space wheels here are the clearances.

Right Side (passenger) Tire to spring..... 3/8" Tire to slightly rolled fender lip..... 1/2"
Left Side (driver)         Tire to spring..... 1/2" Tire to cut fender lip.... 3/4"

I did not have to disconnect anything to actually put the wheel/tire on the car. I DID reverse the shackles with a pry bar and sorta rolled the tires from the rear over the drum. Actually easier than I expected. Bear in mind my shocks have a longer fully extended length than stock. I REALLY like the improved look.

BTW my car has had the lower rear left quarter replaced and I felt OK with cutting the lip. The right side is stock and the lip had already been rolled (both prior to my ownership). I can gain quite a lot of outside clearance on the right side by cutting the lip if I need to solve any rubbing issues. I won't know for a while if I have any rubbing issues.

Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-10-16 11:20
The 8" rim will help the clearance by reducing the section width.  Unfortunately, it will also reduce the down pressure on the outside edges of the tire.  The tire may wear prematurely in the center and may also impact the performance of the tire by not having a flat, full tread contact patch.  None of this matters much if they fit.  Another issue is that maybe size does NOT matter.  The section width and thread width should be considered more than just the size.  Thread width, section width, and rim recommendations vary between manufacturers and models within the same manufacturer for the same size tire.  For example, my Pirelli performance tires have a wider thread and section width that Perelli's same size SUV tire.

Gary, I totally agree with all you said. I believe the 8" rim is well within spec for the tires I have, (Cooper Cobra GT). I have 275/35 x 18s on my other car on 10 1/2" rims. There is a MUCH larger contact patch on that tire. I was really going for the "look" with an improvement in performance a secondary concern.

I will post a few more pictures when the weather improves.
Lynn

rmk57

Thats good information. I have an old set of Centerline auto drags that are 8.5 wide with a 4.87 b/s that should work although it would push the wheel out towards the fender lip a bit more.
I also have set of regular 15x7 steel wheels which for sure would fit but lose a bit of contact patch. Mickey Thompson's website says 7.5 to 9.5 for their 275 60 15 drag radials.
Did you happen to measure the section width with them mounted?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

No I didn't measure them mounted. I did measure them unmounted though, they were around 260 mm. That is a good question, I will try to measure them on the car. I haven't driven the car yet but I think any rubbing issues will be small and correctable. The key to getting as much tire on these cars is back spacing. 
Lynn

lalessi1

I measured the mounted section width at 11.0". That is 279.4 mm. The best I could do was measure the width about 5" from the ground so it MAY be a little wider at that point.
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-10-01 06:23
This not unusual, many people have noticed that the bodies don't sit exactly on center and are shifted to one side a little more, or possibly the way the axle housing was made?
I just notice this exact thing today. My car is a 59 Tudor sedan, and today I finally installed my wheels and tires on the rear (new 275/60R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials on 15x8 Wheel Vintique Series 61 stock type steel wheels. I`m guessing a 59 must have a different inner fender configuration than a 57, as they fit quite well with no modifications. The current rearend is the original one, and although they fit, there is a differance between the left & right sides. On the left side, I have 3/4'' between the leaf spring and the tires sidewall, and 1'' between the outside sidewall and the un-modified wheelwell lip. On the right side, there is 1'' between leaf spring, and 1 1/2''s between the outer sidewall and the wheelwell lip. In addition to unhooking the rear shocks, I also had to put a bottle jack between the frame and rearend housing and pull the rearend down a couple of inches to slip the tires width past the stock 11'' brakes. I assumed that since I am going to go with aftermarket 31 spline axles, I would need to slightly narrow the housing to make the tires fit. but maybe not.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

Just curious, does your 59 have the large or small bearing housing?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

I used a P235/75 R15 on one of my cars.... I love the look and the gain in lowering the RPM over a 14 inch wheel.As stated by Rich and others... using a 56 shock will allow the rear to drop more.I have done this during my rebuild... before I had to deflate the tire to get it off the hub and out from the body.
that thread is here.....

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6639.75

Since this car is going through a complete rebuild.I made the switch to the 56 shocks.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

Looks REALLY COOL!!!! Since I started posting in this thread I also changed my front tires to 235/60-15. They dropped my front end about 1.25" I really like the look with a smaller diameter tire in the front, what size are you using?
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2019-12-16 11:11
Just curious, does your 59 have the large or small bearing housing?
Randy, the 59s factory rearend is a small bearing, but I have a large bearing rear from a 58 Edsel we are going to narrow a bit, and and use a 31 spline Detroit Locker and aftermarket axles. I originally bought the rearend thinking it was the same a a 58 Ford, but I should have done some measuring, since it was from a Corsair or Citation, so it is a bit wider than a Ford rearend, and had the oddball 5 on 5" wheel bolt pattern. So it looks like all I will be using is the bare housing from the Edsel.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

The Corsair and Citation were based on the Mercury platform while the Ranger and Pacer were Ford platform.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Edsel had 2 different wheel bolt patterns for those years?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

The Pacer, Ranger and the station wagons use the 5x4.5 pattern. Corsair, citation use the larger 5x5 bolt pattern. The large series Edsels were built on the 124" wheelbase Mercury frame and the small series were bulit on the 118"-116" Fairlane and Custom  frames.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

terry_208

Wasn't the center section/3rd member actually the same ford, mercury, and edsel?  What ratio did the edsel have?
Terry

59meteor

Quote from: terry_208 on 2019-12-17 10:48
Wasn't the center section/3rd member actually the same ford, mercury, and edsel?  What ratio did the edsel have?
The gear ratio from my Edsel rearend was 2.91, which is also what is  in my 59 Meteor, which is a Canadian Ford based model, when used with a 332 and  speed Fordomatic. My 59 manual also listed 2.69, 3.10, 3.56, 3.70, 3.89, &4.11 ratios, depending on model and powertrain. Both my old 57 Sedan Deliveries came with 3.89s, came with 272 V8s with 3 speed manuals. (no Overdrive).