News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

HEADLIGHTS

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-08-26 07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

What are you guys using for headlights?? Are the oem sealed beams still available? I assume they are since I haven't seen this topic come up much.
What are the 9004/9007 bulbs that I can get conversion adapters for?
Not sure I want to get into halogens
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I'm still using the OEM lights. I had considered Halogens but decided I didn't want to add the relays need to use my old original wiring and headlight switch for as little as I drive at night. I saw some people are now using LED in their classics which don't require the current draw, actually less then the OEM lights but they are around $300 a piece so that idea got scrapped.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

My thinking exactly...not planning on a bunch of night driving with this car. A call to Autozone told me the sealed beams are still available.
Everybody on the same page with this?

petew

Halogen sealed beams from your local auto parts store . They are reasonably priced , bright and they look like oem sealed beams. Wagner part # H6024. Summit sells them too. They seem to work just fine with original wiring and switch.

RICH MUISE

Original plug connector also? They're certainly cheap..all over ebay for 12ish. You haven't had any issues with overheated wires, blown fuses, etc?

hiball3985

Scott Drake has Halogens that look like originals with the FORD script.

Also I had read several reviews back when I first thought about this and on different ones and people saying that some aren't true Halogens as claimed and are just regular sealed beam, buyer beware of the cheap ones.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

Rich, I run them in all of my old cars using all stock wiring , switches and connectors . No issues and no overheating. You can look into the light through the lens and see the halogen bulb in there. They are made by both Wagner and Sylvania. There are even 6 volt halogen headlight available , I have them in my 55 Tbird and my 51 Ford. They are a vast improvement over a stock sealed beam. I believe the reason that I don't have any problems is because the wattage is not as high as say a Hella headlight with a removable bulb . They usually start a 55 watts for the low beam setting.

John Palmer

Quote from: petew on 2015-08-26 10:29
Rich, I run them in all of my old cars using all stock wiring , switches and connectors . No issues and no overheating. You can look into the light through the lens and see the halogen bulb in there. They are made by both Wagner and Sylvania. There are even 6 volt halogen headlight available , I have them in my 55 Tbird and my 51 Ford. They are a vast improvement over a stock sealed beam. I believe the reason that I don't have any problems is because the wattage is not as high as say a Hella headlight with a removable bulb . They usually start a 55 watts for the low beam setting.

X2, exactly what I run.

sprink88

I have a set of tri-bar lenses and 6000k HID bulbs. bright white.
~Chris

clusterbuster

Here are the spec on the H6024

Part Number: H6024
Weight: 1.45 lbs
Amperage Draw: 3.13
Approximate Initial Peak Beam Candlepower: 89
Bulb Technology: Halogen
DOT / SAE Compliant: Yes
Headlamp Beam: Low & High Beams
Headlamp Wattage: 40
Operating Voltage: 12.8
Rated Life (hrs): 320
Sealed Beam Base Design: Triple Contact Lugs
Sealed Beam Configuration: Round PAR-56
Sealed Beam Number: 6024
Vehicle System Voltage: 12V

clusterbuster

I see where Wal-Mart has the H6024 bulb for $8.88 each. I was also under the impression as well that I would have to put relays etc to change over to Halogen. I don't drive the 57 at night as a rule, but I am going to switch over to the H6024"s. The specs tell me they would be a good safe product. Thanks for bringing up the issue Rich.

RICH MUISE

From what I've been told on the Hamb, they may not require the relays, but it's a good safety and performance upgrade, and cheap and easy to do.
From Jeff on the Hamb.(not Norwell):
6014's too,but they were not very bright so I added the relay kit like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361017529037?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT And WOW! major difference

clusterbuster

Rich, I went through that link to E-Bay and checked the compatibility for the 57 Ford . It states that the kit is not compatible. I am going to switch over to the H6024'S. They have to be better that the old ones in the car. The amperage draw is very low and should be just fine.

Zapato

CB,  I would doubt that any electrical upgrade would be considered "compatible" with our cars if in total stock configuration by the parts manufacturers. Going to guess looking at that extensive list that someone with a few initials after their name came up with that statement. Yet there is also a line about hot rods. rat rods etc....  Absolutely no reason it couldn't be used in a 57 Ford that's been already had its electrical system upgraded. Now if it still had old wire cloth frayed wiring then almost anything would be a totally different scenario.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

I agree. I wouldn't think of putting halogens in a 58 year old electrical circuit.