News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wiper cables to linkage conversion

Started by rmk57, 2017-05-18 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Just as the title says I'm converting to linkage and getting rid of the cables. What I have is 1958 Edsel wagon linkage that I have bolted in place but there seems to be something missing. There is about 4-5 inches between the rod ends. So is there another connecting bar that goes on the wiper motor to take up the gap between the linkage? Forgot to mention this for electric wipers to.
Iv'e searched for 58-59-60 Ford electric wiper motor assembly diagrams and cant find anything.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Seems like I read somewhere that the 58 wiper assembly will fit, but you have to cut out the sheet metal from the 58 and weld it into the 57. 
    Someone who knows for sure will chime in . Sounds like an interesting project.

RICH MUISE

I converted mine to hard linkage, But all custom made from scratch and/or adapting late model stuff. I never looked into adapting linkage from similar models. Your main consideration here if your using the vintage adapted linkage you referred to is what motor you're going to use/be able to find. I'm guessing that vintage linkage will require a motor with a back and forth motion rather than the 360*/roundy-round motors used in later years (what I used). Lengthening the rods wouldn't be a major issue, but there's probably more going on than apparent.
Are you using the stock firewall location for the motor. Considering your approach, my guess is your going to use an aftermarket motor like Newport.??
I believe Jay is correct in that the '58 stuff can be made to fit, but it's only a project for a car in disassembled build stage. Lots of welding on the inside cowl area. On top of that you have to find a '58 donor car with the components, and then probably the hardest part, getting a '58 motor to a useable/reliable state.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

The motor part is already figured out. It's a typical marine application which don't have the 360 degree rotation but have 2 speeds , auto parking and adjustable sweep.

The 57 and 58 Fords/ Edsels have the same cowl and I would guess the same center to center distance between the two splined posts for your wiper arms. I removed the cowl and bolted on the linkage arms, which fit fine. The problem I'm having is the 4 inch or so gap between the ends of the arms. I'm wondering if the electric or vacuum unit had a different type of attachment to hook up the ends of the linkage arms.

The parts I have are oem 58 Edsel, so there should be a way to mount this in factory or close to a factory way.

Yes, I'm using the stock location for the wiper motor. I don't want to start major surgery to mount under the dash.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rmk57

I think this the piece that I need to join the linkage together. Shouldn't be to hard to fabricate something like this. Got myself a project for the weekend.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy, you are aware that unlike a 57 Ford, the 58s had the wiper motor mounted under the dash, rather than mounted under the hood. 59s have the wiper motor mounted to the firewall, under the hood, and with linkage, not sure if the wiper pivot spacing is the same as a 57, or if the motor is located in the same position, but if interested, I can take some measurements from my 59 if you want. Unlike the 57 &  58s, 59s do not have the removable screened  cowl panel between the hood and windshield, it is solid and welded, as 59s get the interior air via ducting behind the grill, running over the front tires, and into the firewall.  I believe that 1959 was the first year that Ford offered factory electric wipers .
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Lgcustom

Randy, could you post up photos of your project? This is an approach I haven't heard about before. Sounds like a new(old) way to configure the wiper assembly.

Ford Blue blood

My 58 Edsel Pacer (first day of production) has the exact same wiper system as the 57 Fords.  Not sure when Edsel (small series) switch over to under the dash wiper motor if they did at all.  The large series may have had the wiper under the dash, don't know for sure as they were based on the Mercury platform.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Yes Rory I'm aware the linkage and motor are mounted under the dash in 58's, but I'm pretty sure the mounting pad on the firewall or under the dash are the same for 1957. The only reason I can't see it working would be not enough room under the 57 cowl for the pivot bar to swing around in .

I'm going to take some pictures of everything I have and maybe somebody will recognize the pieces I have. All the parts that I have came with a 58 Edsel Villager wagon. The wagon I used to have had the wiper motor mounted under the dash, but I don't recall if it it was cables or linkage.
The wiper motor itself was quite a bit bigger than the 57 unit also.

Having looked a little closer it isn't  going to work without some major fab work to my cowl area or totally rework the linkage arms..............
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but why swap the cable system for linkage. My original cable system works fine so I'm not sure why the need to change.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

The old cable system is very reliable, Steve, but to answer your question, in my case, (don't know why RMK is wanting to change)... I wanted to clean off my firewall, and make my late model steering column fully functional to help clean up the dash area. That required using a wiper motor and control module that electronically matched the wiper/multifunction switch on the steering column. Since the new motor was a 360* motor, I had to devise a hard arm system that would work with it, as well as change the direction of the right arm so it was an opposite direction from the left (as original)....the domino effect, lol. It was a challenge, but I now have variable speed intermitent wipers!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

suede57ford

On my '57 Ranchwagon I used '58 arms with a motor of a rear lift gate that turned 180deg. The motor was mounted under the dash.  I experimented with the motor arm length until it had the right stroke.   I never drove it in the rain since then si  idon't know how effective it was.   Recently I cut the wiper mounting area out of  a '58 ford and I'm goin to convert it to a Newport electric motor or  a'58 to get more speeds. 
My '57 sedan has a '57 chby electric motor that bolted right on and bolts right on.  Works pretty good, even turn on with the original cable.  Those 55-57 chby motors are easy to find on eBay.

Also the Newport motor for 57 Ford(or Chby) work good too.  They use a new switch which comes with it.

The issue with the original cable system is never take all the bolts out of a cable system or try to remove and reinstall on an original car, as it takes some effort to get it set up and tensioned again.   If you never mess it up it works very well.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Oldmics

Keep the cables and install a 57 Chevy motor. Its only a 2 speed with no intermitant operation BUT who drives in the rain anyways!

Oldmics

59meteor

Quote from: Oldmics on 2017-05-19 19:55
Keep the cables and install a 57 Chevy motor. Its only a 2 speed with no intermitant operation BUT who drives in the rain anyways!

Oldmics
I agree, provided the cable system is still complete and functional, the electric Chevy wiper motor works great, is a direct bolt on, and in my opinion, looks better and more "period correct", than the Newport motor, which is mounted vertically, and may cause fitment issues with bigger engine swaps.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

I've decided to keep the cables, way to big of a job converting to linkage, at least for now.
The vacuum unit never did work properly even with the original 272 and it sure isnt going to work with the 460. I already have a Ongaro wiper motor, which is what Newport uses so I'm probably going to go with it. I had it mounted temparily in place and there's plenty of room to remove the rocker cover, even with the spacers I have on mine.

Funny you should mention about  driving in the rain. I've owned the car for about 10 years and it's never been driven in the rain, and I live in the northwest!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429