News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help with power brake conversion.

Started by clusterbuster, 2013-10-13 15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Mark,Forgot to add that the car stops much better. I

clusterbuster

In the middle of typing this forum posted because a post was being added it said. I was about to type that the stopping power puts you through the windshield so to speak. Drastically improved brake response. I was told that the difference between an 8" and 7" booster is about 10%. I would have liked to have had that bracket that you ordered. Do you mean that it hiked the booster up from the center line  over an inch?

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-10-22 11:58
LOL...I may spend half of my afternoon trying to figure out what "3 ft between the rails" means...never mind wth a Charma cam is.
Sorry Rich  :003: something only ROKuberski would understand. I was going to mention Mudhens in there too and throw everyone for a loop  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Ha! Oddly enough I was wondering if it had to do with railroading, and I wasn't even thinking of Rich K's hobbies.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-10-22 18:24
Ha! Oddly enough I was wondering if it had to do with railroading, and I wasn't even thinking of Rich K's hobbies.
You got Rich, him and I share similar interest. That's where my screen name originated from.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

Well, that's a lots of BS under the bridge just since yesterday.

Yes indeed I have an interest in narrow gage rail (3' between the rails.)  However, as I've told lots of people, I am not a really big rail fan like lots of the others that volunteer at the Colorado Railroad Museum roundhouse, where I spend all day every Thursday.  What I like to do is "work on stuff."  And there is lots of stuff there to work on.  One of my coolest project was the restoration of an 1896 steam locomotive, come out and see it if you are in the Denver ( actually Golden) area.  If you are having a dull day, you can watch the video I made of the project. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr1c3cbmcow

As to difference in effectiveness between a 7" (38.5 sq. in.) and 8" (50.25 sq. in.) diameter boost unit, the only thing I can comment on is that 8" is about 30% larger than 7" when you compare the areas.  I would guess that there would be more than a 10% difference of applied assist.

What I was wondering is about how much of a difference is there between the stock peddle feel and with the boost unit installed.  I know that this would be pretty subjective.  I will let you guys know how it works out for me.

As to the height of the centerline for the new unit, it will indeed be 1.5" higher than the stock unit.  I think that is very important.  There just "ain't" much room in there.

It's ordered and I should have in installed in the next couple of weeks.

Now, the vibration on my Fairlane.  I've got it solved.  I did replace lots of parts, but the main culprit was the left rear axle bearing.  The right one had already been replaced, but I had bought a pair and installed them both.  I also installed all new bushings on the front suspension ( they needed it) new ball joints, tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, balanced the drive shaft (didn't really need it but it was already on the bench so I had it done) and universal joints.  In the process I threw away a lot of original wear parts.  It  did make a difference.  I am now considering replacing the front anti sway bar with the larger size one.  I've heard that this will make a difference in handling.

Rich

hiball3985

I understand you interest in working on the equipment. Two years a go when I was in Chama I took a tour of the shops and spent a few hours talking to the volunteers. With the machining knowledge I have they begged me to join and spend two weeks each summer, unfortunately I couldn't do it. I've been to your museum a few times in years past, but we don't get to Colorado any longer since the wifes grand mother passed but we still have a farm in Johnstown.

Glad you got the vibration under control. I fought a similar problem on my 66 Mustang. It tok me forever but I finally found the problem to be the transmission tailshaft bushing, it was allowing the front of the drive shaft to whip around but it only did it at 65 mph. If you drove 60 or 70 is was smooth as glass.

Thank you for the link to the video. Is 317 at Chama a sister to 318?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

People that sell the boosters told me 10%.  As for stopping power, I am very satisfied. Very sensitive pedal response.

ROKuberski

Yes, our 318 is sister to Chama's 317.

One thing I forgot to note was that I also replaced the front yoke on the drive shaft and the tail shaft bushing on the transmission.  However, this was not the culprit for the vibration.  The area of the yoke where the seal mated was a little rough so I thought I may as well replace it in hopes that my seal would last longer.

Rich

Frankenstein57

Thats good to hear Rich, I've got to replace my axle bearings this winter.  Mark