News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Frame swap? Anyone done one?

Started by Zapato, 2009-01-29 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Been thinking of doing a frame swap. Considering a 95-2001 Explorer. would give me lot better suspension brakes etc.... and if all my thinking is right my 4.6 5spd setup will be an easier swap without having to use a bunch of "Gearheads" parts and dream of Rick Wurth steering. just a nice factory engineered setup.
Would take about a 3 inch frame stretch complete rig and lots of hardware would be cheaper than the before mentioned modifications. Any thoughts? :Cheshire:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 Ford Kustom

I have done a frame swap before on a 57 c  vy Pu using a 85 PU frame. Didn't need to change the wheel base (shortened to a 6ft bed). The frames were both the same width and could move the cab mounts over from the old to the new. But there was a lot of things that were hidden and turned around a bite me you know where. I guess where I am going with this is I believe Explorer has a straight frame where 57 Ford does not, floor work comes to mind.
   If it was me I would use a Y Block or a later small block with a 5 speed, 4 wheel disc brakes (using the Explorer rear end), and a original power steering.
   But than this is only one old white hair persons opinion. You will get more.

Good luck

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ford Blue blood

More trouble then it is worth.  With the ease of swapping in the rear (as Tom said), the ability to overhaul the front suspension with better parts than original and the great disc brake kits out there....just a youngsters white haired opinion.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wildhog

I PUT A 56 FORD SEDAN DELIVERY BODY ON A 79 BRONCO FRAME, 460 C-6. I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN. MY 57 RANCHERO I INSTALLED RACK& PINION STEERING,GRANADA FRONT SPINDLES WITH DISC BRAKES,ON THE 9 INCH REAR I USED THE FORD MOTOR SPORT DISC BRAKE KIT. TRUST ME THAT IS EASIER THAN CHANGING FRAMES. FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH, MAYBE I AM JUST GETTING LAZY IN MY OLD AGE. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

canadian_ranchero

i think fixing up the old frame is simpler.but if you really have your mind set on doing one,check out a late model crown vic.will need to narrow the rear diff.something to think about.

Zapato

Bought a 95 Explorer, biggest issue as far as I see is in order to fit the 4.6 and 5speed I need a lot more room between the frame rails where the 57 sweeps up. Not to mention trying to fit any steering is almost impossible. So if it works out I'll end up with a modern ride,4 wheel discs, better steering etc... if it doesn't work then Plan 2 goes to work and I'll refurbish the stock frame decide between a 302 or 429 (both C-6 backed). When I retire this fall will hit project and will update as time allows. Who knows might even consider building it as a 4 wheel drive lowered canyon cruiser. :fruit:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72