News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dearborn classics radio

Started by Alex L., 2011-10-13 13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

I have been wondering about this radio offered by Dearborn classics. I am rather leary of custom autosound radios due to so many bad reports and would prefer no sound to bad sound. Does anyone here have any experience with this radio? it doesn't say who makes it or anything so i am curious.

thanks

here is a link to the radio.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/stereo-radio-am-fm-ipod-fairlane-ranchero-1957-1958.html

drof75

The radio's that I have heard that will fit in the dash for our cars have not had good sound at all. Even the radio would not hold a good freq. There are some really good radio's out that that come with a remote. My plan is to mount one out of site and use the remote.

shopratwoody

I've been very happy with the Custom Auto Sound. Bought their better speakers etc..
I bought direct from them I think off the web
I hate blocksanding!

Alex L.

i have heard a few good reviews but most have been bad, particularly coming from the performance audio people. I like my music and have a bunch of serious quality audio stuff to put in my 57, so i cant really go putting a low quality head unit in front of it. Think 3 cylinder Geo metro engine in a 57 fairlane, it just wouldn't go together.

Ford Blue blood

Really don't need a radio or a sound system......the sweet music the engine and drive train make are more then enough for me......most every car show/cruise in has a DJ and plays the stuff I like so having tunes while sitting there is not a problem....at home my shop has a tape/CD/radio and that is all I need!  On trips my wife makes due with what ever is on the AM band and as soon as she goes to sleep I turn the thing off.  The kids gave me a loaded up thingy that plugs in and plays through the radio...it is still in the box....

Ordered my 08 GT 500 with nothing but the upgrade interior...no NAV, no 1000W sterio, no Sat radio....wanted a car to drive!!!!!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

When my Ranchero was running mid 11's I didn't use the Radio either. With the flowmasters
it's still a little loud. I don't care about 1000 watts in the car, got that in the house.
200 watts get me by if I ever turn it on :003:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

No radio in mine either, all delete plates all across.  Basic stripper Custom.  My last Custom was the same way, drove it a lot with no radio.  At 44, I've outgrown the need for a loud stereo, not that I've ever really had a boom boom system.  I had a pretty nice Alpine unit in one of my old F150 pickups, but not an earth shaker by any means.  The way I see it, like Bill above, I just want to hear the sound of the engine thumping away up there.  My daily driver 61 F100 Uni has afair stereo, but I cant tell you the last time I listened to it.  I dont think I turned it on for Cruisin the Coast, lol....too much stuff to look at, listen to, and people to talk to.  music has become over rated to me, especially since I dont listen to non-Christian stations anymore.  What can I say, I love the sound of my old V8 Fords.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Alex L.
    You might want to consider turning your original AM radio into an FM/AM radio. The guy that did mine did a good job and I feel lost without a radio, expecially if on a trip. I usually listen to AM talk stations on a trip. Also the town I live in has an oldies station. They are nice to listen to while cruising and helpful when your companion goes to sleep on trips. Also, at Columbus I got to hear the tower announce my car while drag racing, that was neat. I just have the basic front/back speakers and it does good. It's nice to have options. They can be turned off and you get the same effect as not having one. But, if you don't have one you're stuck with the same effect always. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

cool57

http://taymanelectrical.com/ I went with gary Tayman. He converted to AM/FM stereo with ipod input. Sounds great looks stock.

Alex L.

I can understand enjoying the engine sound, dual glasspacks are pretty sweet; but i like options. I love how stereo threads always turn into a discussion about the need or want of a stereo by most, it cracks me up.

looking at the price of replacement stereos i think repairing the original might be the thing to do.

I emailed gary tayman, Thanks cool57. He might be able to create a radio which does exactly what i want it to do.

Alex L.

I did some research and talked to gary tayman. In order to use his radio i would have to get a line out converter to send signal to amps. Seeing as a good line out converter can be expensive (no walmart crap), i found a line out converter that can act like a head unit and supply signal to amps. It is exactly what i have been looking for, and as a bonus i can mount it under my seat and not mess up the look of my car at all.

so all in all this has been a successful search, finding what i had been looking for all along.

btw, the line out converter i found is made by audiocontrol.

shopratwoody

Good find. Got to have options IMO :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Zapato

All this hi-tech stuff just doesn't go with my era correct build plan. So I'll be fitting in a mid 60s ford factory AM/8 track player. Drove my 51 for years without sounds, the right car can put a smile on your face that doesn't need to be compensated by music.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lowrider

I have one of those on my 57. I did have a problem with the knob that controls all the functions on it. Sent it back to them and they fixed it  N/C. Been working fine. I'm happy with mine.