News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vin Tag,

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2009-11-12 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

This is a long story but I will keep it as short as possible. I bought a 1957 ford skyliner to restore with the vin tag missing. Now, I know most of the history on this car since in 1969 I traded a1953 ford for it,and my dad and myself made it road worthy and I drove it until 1972 wnen my younger brother got it and was driveing it and hit another car. It was then sold to a guy in a town near me, and he owned it for a while and never put it on the road. He then sold it to a guy about ten miles from me who I thought sold it and it was gone forever. I fond out that he put it in his garage an kept it there for the next 35 years. I was able to buy it in disassembled state. He pulled the vin tag off for what ever reason, body work, paint whatever. He said he had it but after looking he said after all the years he dont know what happened to it. Now what are my options as far as atrim tag? I know  this car back to the late 60s. Since this was my car as a teenager I am going to restore it but need a vin tag. I had the frame powder coated and left the # on the frame not coated so they could be readable. I guess at some point he could come across the tag but I cant count on it. Being in Pa. what are my options? There are guys who might have knowlege on this. Thanks for any help.

Rickey,

JimNolan

Rickey,
   Today's your lucky day. When I had my 57 restored I wanted a new Vin Plate and original rivets to make it look nice. But, I also wanted to change the interior and exterior colors on the Vin/Data Tag. I called A.G Backrest ( you heard me right, that's his name ) his email address is ( dataplt@bresnan.net ). He made me a new Vin/Data plate for $80.00 and I got it in a timely manner.
    He can change the color of the car, the interior color, axle, transmission, etc.  BUT, he requires proof of Vin Number. He won't change that. I had to send him a photo copy of my Vin Plate off the car. It's surprising that he didn't make me send anything other than that. I can't remember but I might have sent him a photo copy of the title. Anyway, he'll do it and do you a good job. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wildhog

CHECK WITH MARTI AUTO WORKS THEY ARE LICENSED BY FORD MOTOR CO. THEY WILL NEED A COPY OF YOUR TITLE AND ALL THE INFORMATION, TO MAKE YOU A DATA PLATE AND THE GOOD PART IS THEY ARE FAIR ABOUT IT. THE TAG WILL ONLY COST YOU $35.00 CONTACT AT 12007 W. PEORIA, EL MIRAGE, AZ. 85335 PH. 623-935-2558  WWW.MARTIAUTO.COM   YOU CAN GO TO 1957FORD.COM AND FIND ALL THE COLOR AND INTERIOR OPITIONS LINK FROM THIS SITE. HOPE THIS HELPS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

mtwilsonboy

thanks for the replies, yes it helps. I will check out these people.

Rickey,

Lou

Marti did a vin plate for me as have Backeast. The Marti plate looked like a repo plate, the Backeast plate could not be told from original.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Lou on 2009-11-12 12:34
Marti did a vin plate for me as have Backeast. The Marti plate looked like a repo plate, the Backeast plate could not be told from original.

I emailed Marti about it and he replied that ford does not license any body to reproduce vin tags. That was it.

What company or person is this Backeast and how can I contact him?

Thanks,

wildhog

RICKEY, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. I READ THAT INFORMATION THAT I POSTED OUT OF A AD THEY HAD IN HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS. SORRY IT DIDN'T WORK OUT. I THINK I WILL TRY TO CALL THEM TOMORROW AND SEE WHAT IS UP. TOM

wildhog

HERE IS THE CONTACT INFO. FOR A.G. BACKEAST 860-877-4440 E-MAIL DATA-PIT@BRESNAN.NET   WEB SITE WWW.DATATAGS.COM    HOPE THIS ONE HELPS TOM

Lou

Marti is blowing smoke, Backeast was a friend of mine when he lived in Connecticut, I did a lot of the research on the plates including the helping with the FoMmCo licensing. A call to Ford Licencing should tell the story. This was long before Marti came along, also Marti does not run a check to see if the number is from a stolen vehicle, Backeast does. The press that Backeast uses to stamp the plates is an original stamping machine from the Marwar, NJ Ford assembly plant. This is a case of you get what you pay for.