News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Another Radiator

Started by JimNolan, 2009-11-06 13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Well Guys,
    I've had a small leak in the seam of my radiator tank long enough. I ordered a Griffin radiator to fit my car today. Part no. 7-857BB-FXX $595, hope this one works. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

4banger

When you see it , you will want to hug it. They are that nice. I have one.

JimNolan

4banger,
      I hope you're right. The guy that seals my radiators at the radiator shop has a 56 Thunderbird and he claims the weakest point on a 57 radiator is the top tank seam. I've had trouble with every one I've had. This last radiator ( Stock two row 57 ) has been the best yet. Surely to God, I'll get a good radiator eventually.
     Also, the picture of the radiator on thier website shows the outlet farther up on the tank than the stock radiator I have. It isn't high enough to cause problems with the power steering belt is it. What was yours like. Jim

wildhog

JIM, I AM USING THE GRIFFIN RAD. IN MY 300 FITS AND WORKS GREAT. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

Thanks for the information Tom. I've got a good feeling about this decision. Jim P.S  I'll get you rack and pinion on this winter.

Amblewagon

I also put one in when I did my engine swap,super nice quality.I just hope it lasts.
Joe

tarheel57

On this Griffin Alu.Radiator,is this part number-(7-857bb-fxx) that is posted on this form,Griffins standard number for their 57 ford radiators.Is this a easy bolt-in,or does it require some modifacations.Im needing one for my custom 300,will be running a 351,with a FMX automatic trans.and also with Airconditition.Just wondering what engine/trans combos some of you were running,and with or without air? Thanks! :001:

JimNolan

tarheel,
    The number posted by me was the number that the guy at Griffin told me I needed. But, my car is a manual transmission. You'll have another part number. It hasn't got here yet so I can't tell you how the fit is. But, if you read what the rest of the guys have to say about thier Griffin radiators, you'll have no other choice. I sure as - -  - wouldn't buy another Cool Craft. It's sort of like buying a bumper from Bumper Boyz. ( once burned, never burned again ) Jim

JimNolan

4banger,
   When you told me that I'd want to hug the new Griffin radiator when it got here I just laughed. I'm not laughing now. If this thing never holds a drop of coolant it is one of the nicest radiators  for fit and finish I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I still like the restoration look with the stock ones, but, if the restoration look comes with the tank separating every year I'll do without the restoration look.
   The biggest difference that I saw was the Griffin was 3/4" thicker than the stock 57 two row. I just used a fan spacer that was 3/4" smaller. The height of the radiator I'd guess is about an inch lower than the original and the front of it tapers down at a 30 degree angle also. The bottom of the radiator is exactly in the original position and the width of the radiator is the same as the original. The next thing I noticed was the bolt holes for the Griffin radiator lined up perfectly with the original mounting holes in the radiator support. The bolt holes themselves had no slop and the bolts fit perfectly. The real interesting part was that they sent a new radiator cap with the radiator. It was a 16# cap. I couldn't keep a 7# cap from making the radiator tank top come loose with the original radiator. They've got a lot of faith in thier welds.
   You were right about the radiator. Now, if it will just hold together. I've got a question though. Do most people paint these radiators or leave them unpainted. I think it would look better painted black but I don't want to take anything away from the cooling properties either.  Jim

wildhog

JIM , IN SOME STATES YOU CAN BE PUT IN JAIL FOR PAINTING A GRIFFIN ALUM. RAD. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

Tom,
   Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to get incarcerated just for painting a radiator. Question, do you use distilled water in your radiator. Jim

4banger

I would not paint it. The paint will cause it to retain the heat. Heat is hell, so that would be a sin.

Frankenstein57

Jim, I agree. When I was a kid I used to do whatever I could to help my big brother with his racecar, One day I was touch up painting the chassis and stuff, I got the bright idea to paint the radiator, was he pissed! I wound up sanding it all off.  (the tanks)   Mark

JimNolan

Well guys, if the pictures turn out here it is. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish. ( I still want it black but I'm scrared of to much ridicle if I paint it ) Jim