News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

2010 NHRA Winter Nationals, 50th Anniversary

Started by 57tudor, 2010-02-17 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

57tudor

Hi Guys and Gals.

Bob Lee and I attended the NHRA 50th Anniversary Winter Nationals in Pomona California last weekend. After we got our tickets and going through the baggage check in, the walk in placed you right into the Nostalgia area with all the dragsters, and funny cars. I felt like I was attending a drag meet at Lions Drag strip in Wilmington, back in the good old days. You know, Bob and I are like two blood hounds, we can find us a 57 Ford almost every where we go, and low and behold, we found a 57 Ford Ranchero with a pusher mounted to the front of the car. The Ranchero is used to push the Croshier, Baltes & Lavato Dragster. Bob and I talked to the gentleman that owned the Ranchero and both of us now can"t remember his name! "CRS" LOL.... Our friend, Mandela had all of their Dragsters in the display area along with the Snake, Garlets, and many others. Later in the day, they had a cackle fest and from out of the crowd emerged the 14 time, Funny Car Champ John Force. John loves the old dragsters and was totally engrossed in one of the dragsters that was cackling for about five minutes. It was good to see John take home the Wally after a long dry spell. Here are some pics that we wanted to share with you Guys and Gals.

Bob Lee
57 Again

Rick Crawford
57 Tudor

:smtree2:

FORDNUT

Prior to moving to Tennessee, I was a neighbor and friend of Jerry Baltese in North Carolina. Quite a guy and there is a pretty good story about the rebuild of his dragster.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

F570RD

I talked with the guy who had the Ranchero.It was powered by a efi 5.0.He has had it nearly 20 years.Very cool ride.To see the cars in the golden coral,some caused a tear.I had the pictures of them on my bedroom wall as a kid.Four days out there was tops.

57AGIN

As Rick said the trip to Pomona was like a step back in time to the days and nights at Lions Drag Strip in the 50's and 60's.  Rick wasn't able to go on Saturday when the Marcellus & Borsh "Winged Express" did more than just cackle.  The did an exhibition run at over 201 MPH.  Wild Willy Borsh wasn't doing his patented one hand driving as he's looking down on the action from above now-a-days, but the run was still impressive.  It was also good to see a Ford back in Pro-stock racing.  But, all things considered, I'd rather be looking at a couple of F-code Y-block Fords making a pass like you guys in the Mid-West do every year at the Shootout.  Any way, here is a shot of the Marcellus & Borsh "Winged Express" on the strip at the Saturday Winternationals.

Bob
57AGIN