News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How to raise the front of a 57?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-03-12 06:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I know this is going to seem very strange, especially to the younger guys. Back in the day, it was popular to raise the front of the car, not lower it.  Having a car with the front down and the back jacked up was considered nerdy in the 50s and early 60s.  I suspect the raised front looked good to us because it resembled the gassers we saw at the strip on weekends.  I remember a friend putting a straight front axle in his 57 and we all thought it was great (drove like a truck). Anyway, without filling the springs with chunks of iron  :003: (been there, done that), anyone have any ideas on how I can raise the front a little from stock? I'm thinking heavier springs, but my FE motor is pretty heavy.  Thanks!

4banger

They sell spacers, horse shoe type, app. 1" thick, also can stack them, that are placed  " UNDER " the coil spring. The higher you go, the more the camber will change. It works, because I have done it.

JPotter57

Ball joint spacers, Galaxie station wagon springs.  That will get it up.  Thats what was in mine when I got it, with a 460 4 spd sitting in it, the front fender openings were 4 inches from the top of the tires...Looked cool.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

4banger

Ball joint spacers are " UNSAFE "

Ford_Crazy

Thanks for the info.  I found the coil spring spacers on the Internet. Looks like a better option than the ball joint spacers.  I don't want a huge amount of lift.  Just enough to site the car a little higher in the front.  Bulding this car brings back so many great memories!

KidKourier

Try Eaton Springs they have all the original spring designs from Ford and could tell you what springs you'd need for your lift or could build you a custom set(height/lbs.rating),once you find the right springs('63 Galaxie,etc.)try Napa or your nearest parts house! KID

JPotter57

Not advocating spacers at all.  This car was a lower gas class car in the late 60s, with 390 4 speed.  It had a welded together steel flip front, no inner fenders, gutted inside, the real thing.  I got rid of all the crazy stuff in the front end.  Now, it has no spacers and smallblock springs with 1.5 coils removed.  It sits pretty low now, 351C and 4 speed coming...Yeah, the suspension has settled a little more, front and rear from that photo, lol...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Ford Crazy:

Back in the day, I believe 1963, I too was after the "gasser" look on my original 57.  I went to Vel's-Parnelli Jones Ford Dealership and had them install 57 Ford A/C front springs.  It gave my Custom 300, 272 a really mean look.  Then I took the front bumper off and I was ready to scare off any of the Brand X 55 & 56's off the road.  Unfortunately, I never did the other work to the engine to make that a reality.  The other unfortunate thing is that for the two years I had the front end jacked up, I never took a single picture of the 57.  Then in July 1964 in order to get a 65 Mustang I sold the car to another kid.  He promptly wrecked it three weeks later.  Always wish I had some pictures of the car, it looked great.

Bob
57AGIN