News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

coil wires

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2010-03-11 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,   i did my usuall thing,  i blew 75 bucks  in a blink of the eye,   i tried to install a pentronic electrinic system  which was no big deal,  but i didn't look at the coil and it must have been a high voltage coil,    anyway it burned out the new petronic system,  but my new problem is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,   the resistor bewteen the coil and the dist that mounts on the eng block,   that was loose so i took it off and tried to fix it,  guess what i broke that to,   now for the q uestion,  do i really need that resistor???????, can i by passs it??????????, (it will start without it),    if i need one where can i get it????????,   i havn't looked at my cat yet to pi------off at myself,   

Frankenstein57

I could be wrong on this, but I thought the resistor dropped the voltage to the points down once the engine is started. Thus prolonging points life. That being said, maybe the resistor is not needed on the pertronics deal.  Mark

rmk57

I installed mine with the ballast resistor in place, and the car starts and runs fine. I also had the same one on my Edsel without a ballast resistor and it also ran good. What does it say on the instructions? Are you sure the unit is toast? There must be a way to test them. I guess you could always put the points back in and see if the problem still exists.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Bubba

The answer is it depends upon what the manufacturer says.
I would pick up the phone and call Petronics Tech Line and ask them resistor yes or no?
Be on the safe side, rather than have your ingnition system done Regular or Extra Crispy  :003:
just my $.02 worth
BuBBa