News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission front seal

Started by BAMA_57, 2010-03-13 23:13

Previous topic - Next topic

BAMA_57

Hey Everyone - I have a '57 Fairlane 500 with original 312 and automatic. The engine has never been out of the car and still runs strong (140K original miles). The tranny was rebuilt back in the '80s. It is leaking fluid at the front of the transmission (seal). I believe it has the police interceptor transmission. How difficult would it be for someone like me (no transmission experience) to pull it and replace the seal? Or would I be better off just to have it rebuilt (it still shifts fine). Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
  :003:
Thanks Ron.
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Hoosier Hurricane

Ron:

If you have the ability to remove the transmission, you can change the seal.

John

glen b henderson

Hey Ron, like John said pretty strate forward, if you have the ability and tools too remove the trans. If you run into a problem give me a shout at 334 227 3004.
Freedom is not Free

BAMA_57

Ok Guys - Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I do have one other problem that I would want to fix. There is no PARK, I have to set the hand brake when I park the car or it is likely to roll.

Glen how is your project coming?
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

rmk57

While your at it and have the trans out why not replace both of the shift lever seals to. Mine were leaking as bad as the front pump seal.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

BAMA_57

I'm not familiar with that. I assume it is at the base of the shift mechanism on the tranny...?
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

rmk57

Yes its the shift lever and throttle shaft lever that slides inside it. The pan,valve body, have to come out, I did
it with the trans in the car and although it can be done that way it would be much much easier with it out, especially when reinstalling the detent spring and ball with trans fluid dripping down your face >:( . Do a goggle search on "fordomatic manual" and there's a page with the repair procedure. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429