News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear axle seal part number help

Started by RAWms, 2007-03-20 17:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

I'm suspicious that I was sold and I installed the wrong rear axle seal when I performed the rear end work of new axles bearings and seals.  The left side is leaking.  I have both Concours and Macs catalogs and I think the dimensions for a Ranchero ( & SW & SD) are ID= 1 1/2" and OD 2 1/2".  My local NAPA parts counter books only went back to 1960.  The catalog part numbers did not cross to identify the part.

Anyone have a NAPA part number I can give my local guys?   thx, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57AGIN

Roger:

Bummer!   When you are this close to getting your ride back on the road to have a rear axle leak.  You may have to check it out with one of the aftermarket vendors that specialize in high performance rear ends like Currie or Strange Engineering.  They might have the right information and even the parts you need.   Or with Shopratwoody or the Hoosier Huricane, the racers have a lot of experience with rear ends and axles.

Bob
57AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

Roger :006:
  Last summer I asked the same question re car bearings and seals . I believe Hoosier Hurricane answered with the part # for both rear ends. But can not find it the old sites they say to go to this site. Hope all the info isn't lost somewhere.

T :burnout:M    :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RAWms

I just checked C&G online catalog and will call them tomorrow.  Also, all these years I cannot remember using a gasket between the back plate flange and 3rd member housing.  It may be that this is the issue I suppose.  I have always believed the seal and bearing sealed up that end of the housing.  I see it is offered so in it will go.  I hate re-work.   :005:   thx, r

...as of Apr 2007

bagboy

I got my brg./seal thru NAPA just a few months ago.9' big brg. they did not have problem. :cussing:

Hoosier Hurricane

Roger:

My old NAPA book gives the number as Victor 49150.  Don't know if the number is still good, but they should have a seal.  Problem may be is that they don't know where to find a crossover from an old number to the current one.  Used to be in the back of the book.  But do they still have any books?????

John

RAWms

Thank you gang for responding and John, that is the number I'm looking for. 

They have the old books but only back to 1960.   They could not cross the Ford number I provided from the Concours catalog so went to the under-the-counter books.    I have a good guy at NAPA who is willing to work with thank goodness.

Like someone mentioned on another thread, WHAT A GREAT SITE!   r

...as of Apr 2007