News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Memorial Day

Started by Zapato, 2010-05-29 18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Monday is Memorial Day and this year I have one more Viet Nam brother to remember. George Jackson double tour, double Purple Heart, several Bronze stars and many other commendations to list today. 100% diasbled at his passing this January, illnesses tracing back to '68. One Hell of a man, Ranger for life. Toughest one-legged man I've ever known. No one better to watch your back and he was always there to do it. I'm always going to miss you brother............

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

RIP George Jackson. Had some buds there myself
I hate blocksanding!

wildhog

I WANT TO THANK ALL YOU GUYS THAT HAVE SERVED, ALWAYS A SPECIAL DAY FOR ME, MY FATHER WAS A COMBAT ENGINEER THAT LANDED FIRST WAVE ON OMAHA BEACH , AND WAS WOUNDED AT THE BATTLE OF THE BULDGE. THANKS AGAIN TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wolfpupsdad

one of the members of my old unit web site , posted a list of our fallin brothers. every year seems to get alil longer.

Zapato

Quote from: wolfpupsdad on 2010-05-30 08:01
  one of the members of my old unit web site , posted a list of our fallin brothers. every year seems to get alil longer.

How true! That's why we take time to honor them before we come to say "and now there were none". Never forget the gift they have given to all of us. :unitedstates:
Zapato

Ford Blue blood

Fully one half of the guys in my graduating class (Pardeeville High Class of 65) went to Nam and returned safe and sound.  All but me were back and done prior to 1970.  All are still alive and all of us have the "normal" older folks stuff going on.  We are now entering the age bracket where things start happening and we tend to attend more funerals.  (Happens when you out live those around you.)

Folks have a tendancy to forget the bad and hard times they endured at home in addition to the danger to those deployed during times of conflict.  When all is well the need for a strong military seems to fade, when events like 9/11 happen the arms start flailing about and words are spoken of "why our military didn't do something"!

It is vital that we keep traditions alive and renewed as a reminder of how terrible war is and the cost of that war.  It is also imperative that those of us that have seen the atrosities of war tell others.  My sister-in-law (whom I affectionately call our family commy pacifist) asked after the Gulf war if "I was willing to die for big oil" and I proclaimed immediately that yes I was if it meant that you and your sons and my wife and kids could continue to enjoy their life style.  That small statement along with a follow on discussion gave her a perspective of war she had not considered and a different view of what those of us that served and those currently serving are thinking and how we are motivated.

So, yes, the President (Our Commander-in-Chief) should be laying the wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns tomorrow, not one of his lackies!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

I am forever thankful for those that did make the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  For those that went and never made it back, we are forever in your debt, and can never do enough to pay it back.  Definitely the best of the best.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Abraham Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Address given on March 4th 1865 finishes with an uncanningly relevant message for us today. Specially fitting for every Memorial Day. As he faced both supporters and detractors Lincoln was calling for healing of the nation and support for the families of the fallen. If you've never read this speech its worth searching online and reading.

It finishes with these immortal words;

"With malice towards none,with charity for all,with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right,let us strive to finish the work we are in.To bind the nations' wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

41 days later the greatest "Commander in Chief" we ever had was assassinated and his dreams and hopes went unfulfilled.

Remember and honor the fallen their sacrifices give us much more than we can ever recognize or explain. :unitedstates:
Zapato