News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Speedometer Cable/Gear

Started by Frankenstein57, 2010-07-07 15:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, when installing my speedometer cable and gear I ran into a problem. The gear I got with the car that looks like the guy special ordered it doesn't seem to fit the cable. I've posted a link to a picture of it. The cable and gear doesn't fit in my tranny, and the single gear on the right fits the tranny but not the cable. In the concours catalog it looks like I need the type 1 cable instead of the one shown in the picture. I have a 3 speed overdrive tranny. The numbers on the main case include 39x:   7F     1A-7006-A. On the tailshaft the numbers R10F-1 and W.GDIV. I was told that the 292 y block engine and trans was from a 64 Ford.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1236/1004118.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance!
Mark

Frankenstein57

I forgot to add, the gear on the left that fits the cable is roughed up. Like it was forced into a trans, or the trans had a problem. Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

The gear on the right is for the '49-'56 cable.  The cable and gear on the left is for the '57 and later transmission.  Incidentally, if the engine/trans is supposed to be from a '64 passenger car, it wasn't factory.  Ford quit putting Ys in passenger cars in '62.  Trucks used Ys until '64.  If yours is a truck engine, it wouldl have a "tub" style oil pan, passenger used a front sump pan.

John

Frankenstein57

Thanks John, it could be a passenger car y-block, has a front sump pan. I have no idea what year the trans is.Looks like I should order the early style cable. I have the car driving in the driveway, just need to close the hole in the tranny, bolt in the seat and drive her home. Then I can finish the interior and stuff at home at my leisure. Summer is not waiting for me. Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

You should be able to stick the cable in the hole without the gear to plug the hole and drive it home.

John