News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What brand tires?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-05-14 17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I decided to go with stock Ford wheels and dog dish caps on my 57 Custom. After two weeks of sanding and painting, they look great.  I was going to run BF Goodrich radial TAs, but for some reason they are on national backorder.  I am looking for a period correct black wall tire in 225/70/15.  Any suggestions? :burnout:

Lou

What period are you trying to look like 50s 60s 70s ?

rmk57

I personally like the look of bias ply tires. Don't handle or stop as good like radials, but for correctness they cant be beat. My 57 Custom runs on G-78 15's.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford_Crazy

I want an early 60s hot rod look.  In those days we ran the biggest 15" blackwall tire we could fit under the car.  The 225/70/15s I want to run should be about right.  The problem is that most modern tires have logos and letters etched all over the sidewall.  I'm trying to find a modern tire with a plain black side wall.  The BF Goodrich radial TAs turned around with the black wall out look OK to me.  I called BF Goodrich and they say the TAs will be available within 30 days.  I'm looking for other alternatives.

rmk57

The P225/70/15's with a 215/70/15 in front would give it a slight rake , give your Custom a nice stance.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

05gt

I'd check Coker Tire..... they specialize in making "new old tires". Might have some luck with them.

57AGIN

Ford Crazy:

I concur with 05GT about checking with Coker.  They might even have a radial tire that looks like a bias ply in their catalog.  Bias may look nice, but aren't nearly up to par with radials for everything else.  Just my two bits for input.

Bob
57 AGIN

Bubba

Take a look at Tire Rack.
Here's the URL for all they 225-70-15 rubber they carry.
The Firestone Indy 500 got the absolute highest rating form their customers, not expensive either.
Here's the URL
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=70&diameter=15&x=92&y=9

JPotter57

The Firestone Indy 500 is a good looking tire, but I dont like raised white letters, and the Firestones have big ones.  Usually I turn them to the back and use a satin black spray bomb to blend them into the tire.  Blackwalls are the best in my eye.  I am running BFG Radial TA on my F100, and I did this to them as well.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Just my 2 cents, and not that I hold grudges for long normally, but I don't have to be kicked twice before I move away from the horse. I was involved in the Ford/Firestone/ mountaineer tire thing in the late 90's. Firestone (no longer an American Company) refused to replace the tires on my 97 Mountaineer because, basically, not enough deaths were attributed to the tires from a particular factory even though the tires were identical to tires made at another location responsible for 113 deaths. After months of haggling with Firestone,Ford replaced the all the tires at their costs and cancelled Firestones 110 year old ongoing contract. Gave me alot of respect for Ford, and I swore I'd never by another Firestone tire again. The recent Toyota brake thing reiterates the Japanese' lack of responsiblity to it's American customers.I was a Firestone fanatic til then,always went Firestone,but one way businesses don't work for me. IMHO   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Rich:
I can absolutely understand the way you feel.
But just how many tire companies are still american owned?
I really wonder?
The Firestone debacle in the 90's soured a lot of people on Firestone forever.
Both Firestone and Fuzion are owned by Bridgestone, who makes some of the highest rated tires in the world.  Like Potter,I don't like the raised white letters, I also don't like paying the prices Coker and Black Diamond charge for their tires.
Rock and a Hard Place anyone?
BuBBa

pitts64

I use nothing but the Firestone Firehawk 500 or the Firestone Firehawk V rated P-V 41 cop car tire... best street tire on the market in my book...

4banger

If you want to buy " American Made " then go with Mastercraft Tires, nice tire

Ford_Crazy

Finally found 4 BF Goodrich Radial TA's and mounted them black side out on my painted wheels and dog dish hub caps.  Looks great!!  Thanks for the input.   :burnout: