News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 rebuild, what would you do? What do they like?

Started by Roothawg, 2010-09-15 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Roothawg

Hey guys, I reently acquired a 57 Ford Wagon for the wife that will double as a tow vehicle for our nostaligia drag car.  The original engine is a little tired and smokes some when first started.  I plan on driving it until it gets too bad, but in the meantime I would like to build up a spare.

Just curious what you would build if you were starting from scratch and what mods you would do to the Y-block?

Thanks

Root

CrossMembers Car Club, established A.D. 1

Ford Blue blood

Street Rodder magazine did a build on a Y-block several years ago.  Contact them about re-prints as they use known experts in a specific area/engine line and compare notes from several builders and of course render an opinion and print the results of their build.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glen b henderson

Not to disagree with Blue Blood, but the Street Rodder artical  is dated. Go to Y blocks forevever web site and get all the info that you need and more. There are several reputable Y block builders that frequent the site, Ted Eaton,TX, John Mummert and Tim McMaster in CA, Jerry Christinson in MN. Plus many other Y block experts.
Freedom is not Free

shopratwoody

If your'e going to drive it awhile put new umbrella seals on the
valve stems. It should stop the start up smoke IMO. Tough ol
motors  :001: Make sure the oil return holes are open in the
heads also. I used to wash the rocker arm ass. with gas to
clean them inside and out and blow air thru them to make sure
they would oil. Took many after market oilers off by just cleaning
the rocker shafts etc.
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

hi,  1st like shopatwoody says,   change the valves unbrellas, if there orig they have to be shot,      as far as a rebuild,  take a compression test,  that says alot