News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

drive train...what would you pay

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-10-17 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I had purchased a '94 mark VIII that was trashed except it had a good but high milage engine and tranny. My plan was to have the drivetrain rebuilt or install as is with a major tune and eventually replace it with a ford racing crate motor. Now I'm wondering if that is the best way to go. I occasionally see real low milage marks (30K or less) for sale. There was a '94 mark Viii here last year for sale with only 32k miles on it I could have picked up for $6k. My question is how much would be a reasonable going price for a complete low mileage drivetrain (computer, wiring etc.) that wouldn't need rebuild to be long term dependable? Would I be better spending 6 or 8 k for rebuilding an old drivetrain, or the same money for a low mileage unit?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i found a 93 with 85k miles on it with air bag problems drove it home for $1500.found a 93 with a 95 engine with about 70k on the engine drove it home for $1000[this is the one i took apart for my swap]these engines are good for 200k so do not be afraid of the k's. the ecc iv computer is more forgiving than the eec v with out a tune, so i like the 93-95 marks better.the trans are the weak point.got a 2001 4r70w 40k mile f150 trans for $300 and with some wiring,sensor and torque converter swaping will fit.98 and newer 4r70w are better.