News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Intake and carb for 360-390

Started by Lono, 2010-10-14 20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Lono

I'm thinking ahead of the intake and carb combination for my 360.
I know they're slugs ( I've been beat around the head about my econo choice motor already on the lunch meat site  :002:) but I do need to upgrade.

The stock carb needs a rebuild so I'd like to scrap that idea and try to get a little performance and/or economy out of the carb.

what are you folks with 360/390's running for cars/ intakes?
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

Ford Blue blood

600 CFM should work well for the 360 and have some left if you decide to go to 390 with the rebuild.  Any after market "street" manifold will work, if you really want to bulk up look for any of the "Z" code intakes.  They are good for low and mid range and came in 61 -67 large Fords and Birds.  They are cast iron, weigh a ton and are still fairly inexpensive.  I did run a Galaxie tri-power on my 73 F-100 360, granny gear 4-speed, 3:55 T-lock with headers.  Jetted all three carbs down and got 14 MPG (stock 2bbl was 12) with it and very good performance and fun to drive (back when I was bullet proof and immortal).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lono

I just missed a tripower intake for $250 too, dang.

I did pick up a used weiand on the cheap side. Need to scrub it up little and it's a low rise too.

just say weeeeand!

Eddie intakes are getting so expencive, this old girl was $75.00. No I can buy teh carb to go on it.  :002:
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

KidKourier

Lono,  Yes the 360's a slug(it's a truck motor),but it's still part of the F.E. family(332,352,360,390,406,410,427,428) all have parts interchangeability(whew) just go to your local book store or online and order a Hollander Parts interchange book which will tell you what's what.A couple of draw backs were they're heavy and they don't breathe well but there's a lot of aftermarket aluminum parts for them(heads,manifolds,waterpumps etc.) and doing a good port job with FPA block hugger headers helps.A Ford hydraulic 428 CJ cam/kit or a Comp Cams unit wakes it up also.You probably just want a reliable cruiser but careful parts selection can net you an easy 350-400 H.P. and add a shift kit in the C-6 and you have a reliable drivetrain(3:50's or 3:70's reargears---3:00"s-3:25's for freeway flying).I ran built 390"s with Galaxie toploader 4-speeds and 3:89 reargears/31 spline axles in my Couriers(great weight transfer) and surprised more than one Chevy/Mopar who'd have a surprised look that they couldn't beat a Ford sedan delivery!LOL!!!   KID

Ford_Crazy

In 1960 Ford came out with a HiPo 352 that kicked Chevy butt all over the place.  If I remember right, Hubert Platt had one and it started his Ford career.  Check it out..   :002:

F570RD

Hate to tell ya this,but that intake is horrible.I was at Jay Brown's shop when he was do'n many of the intake comparison tests.For a cruiser,have at it,but this thing actually developed a miss on the Dyno that no other manifold (35 of 'em) showed.Some of the early castiron manifolds were very good.We got it down to less than an hour swapping these things.