News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Window channel install revisited again

Started by ptwood, 2010-11-04 10:18

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

Hi I am at this stage in my refurb, I know this subject has been covered before but I am still puzzled with how to remove the window channel guides on my 57 victoria 2dr HT. I have the kit from Carpenter.. all very nice and very complete, but I cannot get the channels out, I started with the rear and removed the 2 screws on the door side, also removed the bottom window stop thinking this would help - the channel is lose but it is hung up..somewhere -i.e  the top adjusting screw seems to be in the way and/or the brackets won't come up thru the top door opening - I looked in the manual but it is not detailed enough.. does the window have to come out competely, do I have to take the vent window frame completely off the door too to be able to remove and reinstall the 2 new guide channel runs (I know I have new rivoting to do on both channels- Rich M's suggestion of using the drill press is a good idea..) - I am  replacing everything including the  vent window weather stripping, ...
once done I can get to the fun part of finally installing my new Lebaron panels..
I know Rich M provided a lot of info but I am still not getting it...
The previous topic on this was old so I just thought I would start a new one.
Thank you in advance for any help
Peter

CDN.SD

Disregard below, I didn't see that you were working on a HT.  :dumbass: I'll leave it up, in case anyone has the same problem in the future with a sedan.

There is a tab on the top of the metal channel at the rear of the door.

You have to raise the channel about an inch and it should then come apart.

If you're replacing everything... I think in the long run it would easiest if you removed the window. It may, or may not have to come out to get the tab out of the slot. (not sure... I took the window out first.)

Hope that helps...

Necessity is the mother of butchery

RICH MUISE

All the info I posted was for a 2 dr sedan...which is probably why it's not helping much. I'm sure just about everything would have to be diferent for a hardtop. Dennis carpenter use to have  step by step pictured instructions on replacing the channels in the back of their catalog...and also online. You might check their website to see if it's still there or if it can be accessed from their home page.Cdn is correct...on the sedans there is a clip on the channel that slides down into a bracket close to the door lock mechanism. It would be my guess the hardtop is designed the same way...so just try sliding it up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe