News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parking Lamp Assembly Surgery

Started by Bubba, 2010-10-04 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Ok Bros, I KNOW some of you have done this before, so I thought I would ask.
Is there an easy way, other than removing the grill or splash [gravel] shield to remove the parking light assembly???
BuBBa :006:

Ford Blue blood

Can you not go in from behind (hood off)?  Hood is much easier then the grill or the splash pan!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I went out and looked at all the components...my car is not assembled...my guess it would be a hell of a reach from in front of the radiator to get to the two nuts holding it on...particularly the outer nut as the lamp housing and wiring will be in the way. I would think even if you could reach it with a long handled ratchet,if you can't get you're fingers on the outer nut to reassemble,it'd be really frustrating to reassemble. I'd go for the grille removal..at least you're not dealing with a painted panel.  just my 2 cents.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Rich and Bill:
Given the choice I will always opt out for the path of least resistance.
Looks like grill surgery is the only way out.
Break out the Areokroil and PB Blaster!
BuBBa

Ford Blue blood

Bubba the grill is much easier with the head light buckets out.  I feel the hood off will give better access than you will have taking the grill out.  Still have to reach in for two fasteners on the grill or work with two clicks per turn with a fine toothed ratchet for the inside two bolts/nuts.  Just a thought......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

speaking of ratchets...the handiest one I've ever owned by far is one made by Stanley. Not only does it ratchet in the normal way, but you can also ratchet it by twisting, or rotating,the handle, which makes it incredibly nice when you don't have alot of room to click a couple of teeth. Also is great when you have a nut or bolt so loose the ratchet won't "gear back", and you can't get your other hand on the socket or extension to hold it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Well Bros the grill is out!
Thanks for all the advice especially about the headlight buckets.
What I found out the hard way is that at some point in the Ole Fode's life someone removed the grill and replaced it with a series of non matching, English and metric nuts bolts and screws! A curse upon him and his family for 10 generations.  What I can assure you is that when it goes back in it will be with all matching, non rusting, stainless steel U.S. standard hardware.
BuBBa

Frankenstein57