News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford Racing 302 Crate Motor !!!!

Started by kens65fb, 2010-10-28 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

Well I finally did it.  I ordered my 302 crate motor from Ford Racing for my 57 Ranchero project.
This motor comes with a rear sump oil pan, will I need to swap for to a front sump pan ( if so any suggestions on a replacement pan)
It also comes with a 50 oz imbalance,  so I think I will need a (50 oz imbalance)  157 tooth flywheel, as I already have a tremec T-5, is that correct ?
Already has an installed fuel eccentric, what type of mechanical fuel pump would work best.
Got a set of motormounts from speedway motors, to install a 302 into a 57 Ford
What kind of shorty headers will work, with Power brakes, and rack & pinion steering
Any thing else ???
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I know that the many knowledgeable members of this board  are a great help to newbies such as myself.
Thanks
Ken

wv 57s forever

summit sells cheome oilpans.

JPotter57

You need the front sump pan, and possibly the timing cover if it doesn't have provision for a dipstick tube.  Also, if the motor comes with a water pump, make sure it is for the std rotation unless you are using the serpentine belt system.  Finally, if it comes with an EFI distributor, you will need either a Duraspark  or equivalent aftermarket for carburetor use.  Make sure you have the proper gear on any distrib you use, since the crate motor is a roller cam motor, and an iron gear on the distributor will die quickly meshing with the steel gear on the camshaft...If you're just going to be knocking around, I'd just use a standard Carter type mechanical pump.  Racing use needs a good high volume pump, Holley makes a good mech. pump.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

I have a front sump pan, Its not high quality chrome, I think its flashchrome. I have about 50$ in it if you want it.  Thanks, Mark

wv 57s forever

ranchero57

Hi I didnt know ford racing offered a 302 engine.How much did it cost?Have you seen the 302 sold by speedway motors?Some of you may be interested in one of them at3995.00,A friend of mine bought one and it is really fine.--Campy

ranchero57

I am sorry I need to correct my last post,the speedway 302 engine is 3499.00 not 3990.00.Speedway motors is in nebraska.--Campy

Bubba

Bros:
Ford Racing offers 6 different 302 based crate engines.
They range in HP from 340 up to 450, and in torque from 310 to 400ft/lbs.
Prices range from $3,495 to $8,995 MSRP ,but most Ford dealers will cut you a break on the price.
They also offer modular, 351, sealed race and big block crate engines.
Here's the URL
http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp
BuBBa

geraldchainsaw

since i'm not up on everything,  what is a modular motor????????????

Ford Blue blood

That would be the 4.6 & 5.8 late model engines that are now the heart of the Ford line.  Started in 96 (?) with the Mustang and T-Bird and was added to everything else shortly there after.  They come in many different configurations and HP ratings, single overhead cams/16 valves, single overhead cams/24 valves and dual overhead cams/(32 valves not 16) 16 valves, V-8 and V-10.  The new 5.0 is a variation of the original "mod" motor line.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

I'm no modular ford engine expert, but the 93 mark 8  is a modular 4.6 i think.  Mark

RICH MUISE

The first Ford production car that used the modular design was the '93 Lincoln Markviii. It was a 4 cam 32 valve 4.6 that is still considered by many to be the strongest modular to build to high horsepower. Ford actually secretly had several hundred Lincoln town cars running aroun the country in '92 to test the motor before advertising it for the mark viii in '93. (I'd be curious to know if any of these ever "show up" on the open market).
The concept of the modular motor was "any block - any head - any intake. The Idea was to reduce manufacturing costs by being able to interchange components to arrive at different end results (diferent hp ratings, diferent torque rating, etc)Thus the name modular...however it didn't take Ford long to get away from that. Many blocks, cranks, heads,etc. are interchangable as the original concept designed, but many are not.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-11-01 19:30
The first Ford production car that used the modular design was the '93 Lincoln Markviii. It was a 4 cam 32 valve 4.6 that is still considered by many to be the strongest modular to build to high horsepower. Ford actually secretly had several hundred Lincoln town cars running aroun the country in '92 to test the motor before advertising it for the mark viii in '93. (I'd be curious to know if any of these ever "show up" on the open market).
The concept of the modular motor was "any block - any head - any intake. The Idea was to reduce manufacturing costs by being able to interchange components to arrive at different end results (diferent hp ratings, diferent torque rating, etc)Thus the name modular...however it didn't take Ford long to get away from that. Many blocks, cranks, heads,etc. are interchangable as the original concept designed, but many are not.
the first mod motor came in the 91 town car then the 92 crown vic[both 2 cam]

kens65fb

What happened to this post ? it was about 302 crate engine installation, not a history lesson on the modular motor

RICH MUISE

Ken...imho It's like a bunch of guys standing around a shop talkin' cars...it's real easy to get off on tangents when your trying to understand the difference between a 5.0 and 302 or discussing 351w and 351c differences, or whatever. I agree, sometimes we get way off subject...sometimes it's frustrating and sometimes it's interesting. we all , myself included, probably need to try a little harder to open a new topic in the right section when we have a unrelated question.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe