News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Another wiper question... Sorry!!!

Started by outcruisen, 2010-12-28 03:38

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi guys.. I have purchased new wiper pivot shaft spacers, gaskets and nuts, but... Always a but.... for some reason I cant pull the actual wiper stalks through the panel far enough for it all to go together..

I seem to be able to get enough to put the nut on with no spacer, or, the spacer but not enough thread for the nut. The rest of the assembly seems spot on (especially now after the Carpenters 2 speed electric wiper conversion), but I need this bit to work before I can test them out...

Any ideas or tricks?

Cheers

Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark...before you slip the chrome bezel on, make sure the slot in the pivot assy lines up with the slot in the cowl. There is a flat rectangular boss on the chrome bezel  that protrudes thru the hole and into the slot on the pivot assy...so everything has to be lined up for it to go together correctly and keep the the pivot from pivoting as well. Also make sure you haven't somehow switched the right and left...I don't know how far you had it disassembled.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

outcruisen

Rich.. Thanks for the info, I went and checked and I hadnt swapped from left to right, but had actually rotated the spacer 180 degrees so the thicker part of the spacer was away from the screen. Also, somewhere along the line the cowel bit had kicked up a corner (between the hole and key slot) stopping the spacer (or bezel) from sitting flat.

Once i flatened the steel, turned the spacer the correct way and used a pry bar to push up the wiper swivel, all went together...

It was over a year since I pulled it apart so dumbass me needed to stop and think about the whole process.. I guess your info, and me thinking a bit clearer worked.. made my day LOL...

Cheers again for the help.