News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Grills

Started by Bubba, 2011-01-24 14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bros:
Exactly what type of metal is the front grill made from?
I've contacted two plating firms, one says the grill is anodized aluminum, the other says its chrome plated steel.  I don't have my trusted magnet handy so I am looking for a quick response here.
As always thanks for the answer in advance!!!
BuBBa

JimNolan

Quick response. Steel. at least mine was. I chrome plated it. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

all the ones I've seen are chrome plated steel. I've seen many with bad rust, and some that had rust on the backside that was very obvious even after plating. When I first got my car, the one thing I would have bet on was that it was stainless...and as much stainless as there is on our cars(most of it magnetic by the way) was the grille, and it's not.I was really surprised to find out it wasn't. Definetly not aluminum.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alvin stadel

I'm in the process of redoing my failaine 500, 63A. I restored it in 87 and at that time like Jim had the grill chromed and it has held up well. I have some hanging on the wall of my parts shed and always thought they were stainless, actually still do, I know they arn't chrome, I don't think Ford got to many parts from China back then. Alvin

shopratwoody

I've had a lot of 57 Fords and they were all steel.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Bubba

Bros:
Thanks for your responses.
One of the plating shops knew what they were talking about the other didn't.
Just curious as to what folks paid to have the job done?
Thanks again!!

Lou

3 years ago it cost me $650.00 for the 3 grill pieces. In the spring I wil have for sale a complete set of show chrome for a Fairlane 500.

JimNolan

Lou,
   That sounds about right. I think mine was $550 but it was in good shape and didn't need filling. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

glen courier

I will agree with Alvin. I have one that I am sure is stainless. It is magnetic but so is the trim. Might have to keep this one pre china.

alvin stadel

Well I always admit when I'm wrong and I think I am on this one. I took a trip to my parts shed this afternoon and have 4 and 1/2  grills hanging on the wall, I looked them over carefully and all have little pits in them like chrome gets after along while. Since all my buffing equipment is set up I desided to do a little polishing, these arn't stainless. I just finished all the stainless for my hardtop and its not the same. Henery must have used some cheap plating on steel. Take care, Alvin.

shopratwoody

My grille and bumpers in top quality cost $650.00. That's how
long ago that was done :003: Still look like new.
I hate blocksanding!