News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bumper height

Started by JimNolan, 2011-03-02 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   As some of you know I've been playing around with the front height of the car by installing different springs. This last set of springs I put in had a free height of 16.812". The original was 15.55". Before I installed this last set of springs, the bumper height on the car at a specific location was 15". After I installed the new springs the bumper height was 17.750". I got the car aligned and have driven the car about 150 miles in the last two days. I checked the bumper height just now and it is 16.625". It has come down 1.125" since two days ago.
  My question is, what the h_ _ _ is going on. As far as I know I can still read a tape measure. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim.
That would drive me absolutely nuts :004:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

The only thing I can figure out is I didn't have the spring seated at the top when I installed it. I know there's a cone that comes down that the spring fits around. The springs and spring compressor are heavy and it was all I could do to hold them up in there while I seated the bottom. Maybe I had it on top of that cone and now it's vibrated into position. I don't know. Jim

JimNolan

Shoprat,
    Forget what I said about being able to read tape measures, turns out I can't. I forgot to add the two inches of the tape measure to the reading you get on the tape. So, my rocker panel height ended up being 10 7/8" from the ground, not 8 7/8". My bumper height I got wrong too. I raised it from 15" to 16 3/4", not 17 3/4" like I previously said. I like where the car rides now and I brought it home from the hanger to stay until next winter. Jim

shopratwoody

Jim,
glad you got it figured out. We've all done it. Glad you weren't
cutting coils :003:
I hate blocksanding!