News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ranchero rear window question

Started by Frankenstein57, 2011-03-15 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

On the 57/58 rancheros,does the rear window stainless go into a grove in the weatherstrip like on the windshield? My 58 came with the rear glass installed, it has some big gaps between the metal ridge and the rubber in the corners. And my books and manuals don't say much about the stainless installation. Were there some models with rubber only? No trim?  Thanks, Mark

57chero

The stainless goes on the same as the windshield , with the glass out the rubber goes on the glass then the stainless is installed then put in the car as one unit. As far as I know all rancheros had the trim around the back window, by the way 57-59 are the same.

RICH MUISE

Mark...if the Ranchero trim is the same as the front window trim, There is a short leg, or hook at the end of the portion the trim that fits inside the rubber groove. If that short leg doesn't get all the way pushed into it's proper groove, it won't seat properly and will cause a gap. That little hook, or leg, is what retains the trim inside the rubber gasket. I guess I'm not sure what you meant by "metal ridge"..I assumed you meant the s.s. trim.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

By metal ridge, I mean the ridge on the window opening in the body. I have a gap in both upper corners from the ridge to the rubber. I think he used a generic gasket if there is such a thing. I checked it again Sunday after reading a post about backwards gaskets, and there is no grove for the stainless in or out. I'm just going to order a new gasket and fix it.  Thanks, Mark