News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Website Progress Report

Started by JimNolan, 2011-03-18 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

James,
    I for one really like this website and have gained considerable knowledge being a part of it. Do you think it feasible to give us a progress report on this website. We post a lot of information and pictures on this site and each year it seems to have grown considerably. I realize it's your baby and you enjoy doing it but I would like to know how healthy it is. I'm not saying your the type of guy that woulld stay pinned under a car for three hours and wait until the last three minutes of life before you yelled help. I'm just saying most of us appreciate the website and would be glad to make sure your baby stays healthy. Jim    PS  Just got my Crusin the Coast registration form, see you then.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

The money thing is a non-issue for me.  I think even if I didnt have a `57 I would keep this site up and hang around here. You guys are my friends, Jim.I have a couple of what I would call acquaintances here, no one I really hang out with.  You guys, on the other hand, I talk to on a fairly regular basis, and try to actually visit with, when the occasion arises.  Cruisin the Coast, Power Tour, the Ford Expo in Columbus, those are my reunions.  I havent been able to go to the Expo since I moved here, but hopefully, I will be able to this year, or maybe next year.  
If you mean just a status report on how many members, or whatever the site has, I can do that easily enough.  As far as the site goes, I have three or four people helping with keeping tabs on the nonsense that comes and goes on any forum.  Thats just something you have to deal with.  This site isnt going anywhere.  I get donations from members from time to time, and to be honest, for the last couple years, not a lot has come out of pocket for me.  Donations have covered the cost of the site and the stickers, or maybe more than half.  Even so, I have mentioned it before, I will keep this site up as long as people use it.
It may even be partially ego driven, as John Gambill and I have been at this thing non-stop for going on 15 years.  When we started, we thought it was a big deal to have 30 members on a Yahoo or Excite community page.  Now look at us.  Both our sites are pretty popular the internet over.  I want it to stay that way.  As long as God lets me breathe, it will.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Way to go, This is a really great site and group of dedicated Ford nuts,  But, without you & John Gambel I know I'd be in a world of hurts.  Keep on keeping on.

Bob
57 AGIN

Jeff Norwell

James... if you need any art for this site...please don't hesitate to call on me.

Jeff

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

Will do, Jeff, and thanks a million.  I want to freshen up the main site soon, and am thinking about using some Flash.  I know a lot of the older users dont care about that kind of stuff, like on the HAMB.  I just want to try and keep the site looking modern and fresh.  I can do that keeping Flash off, but the mechanics of the site are more link oriented, vs the "cool smoothness" of Flash.  Still working on it.
Old, loud, and fast.

TexasFordGuy

James, Serious consider not using Flash for your site upgrades.  The iPads and other tables will have issues with it.  You can use jQuery to get the animation effects your looking for and still support all the user agents. 

I am the CTO for a marketing software company and don't mind helping if your looking for advice ( I feel I owe you already for all the great advice I've received here).  FYI, We actually have one of our younger programmers living in your town of Pass Christian.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

JPotter57

Thanks.much Txfordguy.  I didnt know.that flash caused problems on mobile.devices.  I would have found out soon enough as I use my Droid x slmost exclusively.
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

From what i know James... flash is not the thing anymore.... hence why I am building a new web site..I really like this forum and set up.I completely agree with TexasFordGuy... many of my clients can't get on my reg. site due to the flash.

I am just an old illustrator willing to give ya want you need when the time arrives...
This place is wonderful

Jeff

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

Cool, I will get with you as I get further into planning the revamp.  I may just keep it simple, since no one has really complained.  And I guess, really, all of us are probably old dudes, I doubt there being many under 40 here....Thanks for the offer Jeff, and rest assured, I will take you up on it, your work is outstanding..
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

:burnout:
  i have been to quite a few boards,and this one is the easiest one to post,find posts, or do anything on, i hope you don't change much.

just a dumb old hillbilly in WV

JPotter57

The board part wont change at all, Allan.  I like the ease of use myself, plus its easy to change things and add things here too.  The main site is the one I wanted to update with gadgets etc.  I'll probably just leave it a static site as it is, just update the appearance, since most everyone that uses the site uses this forum rather than the main site.  Thats the way most sites are, the forums are by far the most utilized space there.  I will concentrate on updating the visuals with the aid of Mr Norwell....
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever