News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vintage Air Compressor Bracket 292 Y Block

Started by BWhitmore, 2011-04-22 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

Can anyone tell me if the Vintage Air Compressor Bracket # 15114 - VFB uses a single V belt to drive the water pump, a/c compressor, and the alternator?  If so, does this mean that I can use my single groove crank pulley (no power steering)?

Also does the dip stick tube need to be modified?  Finally, does anyone have a picture of the completed installation with the alternator and a/c compressor installed?

Thanks.

BWhitmore@tcrop.k12.ca.us

Frankenstein57

I bought the vintage air bracket kit for my 292, I bolted everything up and the alternator was out ahead of the other pulleys. It uses a single belt for the water pump, alternator,compressor. I could have reworked the shims, but I decided not to disturb the bolts going into the water jackets. My machinist buddy took about 1/4 inch off the alternator bolt face, and cut me a shim for the front and I was good. I had to get a rear discharge compressor, side ports won't clear. Also a GM alternator, I got a one wire unit from summit or speedway for about 100$ I stood the dipstick tube upward for clearance. I'll snap a couple pictures, my daughter is coming over tomorrow, she will help me post them. Mark

Ford Blue blood

The stock bracket mounts the compressor above it and the generator below.  Both use dual belts, the power steering pump is driven off the third groove (forward most of the three).  I do not have a good picture...posted some a while back of the bracket but can't find them in my machine.  If I do I'll post it.

Struck with a case of reading toooooooofast.....sorry didn't catch the "Vintage Air".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BWhitmore

Mark & Bill - thanks very much for your reply.  Mark - do you think the mis-alignment situation could have been remedied by re-positioning the spacers?  I look forward to the pictures.  Thanks again.  Bill Whitmore

Frankenstein57

Bill, yes on the spacers. I think a good straight edge during assembly is a must have. Most of the bolts go into the water pump and water jackets, on the first try I had a leak. So after using RTV on the threads, letting it sit overnite to dry, I didn't want to pull the bolts again. Thats why we machined it.  Mark

Frankenstein57

Bill--- Here's the pictures of the installation

Mark

BWhitmore

Mark - thanks again for the pictures.  Bill Whitmore