News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Thanks to all the people in this forum that helped me

Started by Mycrow, 2011-04-03 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycrow

After selling a 57 Lincoln Premier I started a search for a 57 Ford and I almost got burned. I found one over a 1000 miles away that looked good in the 20 foot pictures but the owner could not confirm what level of work had been done under the pretty paint job. I didn't want to travel 1000 miles so I contacted forum members and became very well educated on how some people put lipstick on a pig.  I learned every nook and cranny where rust could be covered up, what basic items should have been upgraded with even a basic restoration and so so much more. My friends in that city looked the 57 over as I directed their eyes to the areas I learned about from Forum members.

So this post is to say thanks to the forum members in general for being so helpful and friendly but a special thanks to Jim Nolan, James Potter and Patrick (in Texas) as well as a few others whose names I misplaced. Each of you provided great information that allowed me to walk away from a deal that was really not a deal at all. The combined information saved me a lot of time, travel, frustration and money.

I trully believe the seller got sold a pig with lipstick and decided to take the pig back to market.

I am still searching for the right 57!

Again I can not express how greatful I am for the help I got!  This forum rocks.

JimNolan

Dave,
   If you are searching for a 57 Ranchero to restore you might want to refine your search to New Mexico or Arizona. Sorry the Florida 57 didn't work out. It was nice looking from the pictures.
   The guy that restored my car (frame off) has a website that shows the cars he restored,( yodercustomandcollision.com ). He's got a picture of my car with hockey stick rocker moldings. That picture was taken before he restored it. Honestly, it looks as good in the picture if not better, than it did after the restoration. I once thought I was pretty good at seeing bondo. I found out when it comes to good putty men I'm blind. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Are you looking for a complete car or a project?  I know many members have, or have a line on both.  Let us know what you're looking for, might just strike gold!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Mycrow

Well Blue Blood that is a great question and I am trying to figure out a way to answer it without writing a book.

My overall goal would be to end up with a driver that wouldn't embarrass me when going to events. My last project lasted years (I had a real job then) and in the end I was just tired of looking at it. I started with a pretty good body had to fixed two rockers, one rear quarter, relatively small dings all over it and two bullet holes. The car came out of Colorado. I painted it myself and then stripped and painted in again. A family member did the seats and I hated the little crap behind the dash. I hated chasing parts the most. Now I regret selling it and wish I had it back again.

I am not a loyalist to factory stock condition and I do like upgrading to modern features, like steering, front disk brakes etc. I favor Fords but was raised on GM. My wife was raised on Fords and I am now restoring a 79 El camino for her, Go figure.

Money is a lot tighter than in the past so I think I would like to find a runner that needs work. Work where I could fix the body, paint her and get it driveable and start enjoying it. Then over time continue to dial it in more and more.

But when I get her Camino done in the next 60 days I might consider tackling an off frame project. Afterall now I have time, a big shop and can chase parts with the internet (but a more limited budget).

In the end I will probably do what I have always done which is look for the right deal and shoot from the hip, lol.

Ford Blue blood

Dave does this one do any good for you?  I do have way too many projects and have decided the lot needs trimming.  Pm me or call 205 853 9392.  The Retractabble is for sale too.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

Dave, I'm glad you had a guy close that could check out the car for you, and I am glad we could help out with the problem areas these cars have.  I am with Jim on the trying to find a New Mexico or Arizona car.  Even one from Idaho or Colorado is better than one from the south.  I am from the south, and love it, but the cars that have spent their lives here are usually rusty.  That is why I drove to Dallas for my current Custom, but even it had some rust damage.  Rockers and quarters are relatively easy, but time consuming.  I think my next project will be a fiberglass `55-57 Thunderbird.  I love the look, hate rust repair.  Besides, I want to cut it up, tub it, put a big nasty stroker motor and manual trans in it....I'd hate to do that to a real one....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

I have a friend that owns a really nice `57 Fairlane hardtop, like Jims, but does need a resto to make it really nice.  The car is exceptionally solid, and has a rebuilt 292 Y block, that has not been fired yet.  The timing marks are likely off on it, as they dont line up like standard V8 engines do.  If this sounds like something you would be interested in, send me a private message and I will contact my friend and ask him what he wants for the car.  I have considered it several times myself, but I just love my Customs too much to go with the larger Fairlane.   I have checked over this car pretty well myself, and believe me, it will make a very nice car with fresh paint and interior, which is not bad as it sits.
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

James is that the same fellow I know just south of Montgomery?  If it is that is a solid 500!  Very good starting point.  Last time I got some stuff from him he was working the Falcon race car and a 300 so the 500 had been on the back burner.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

That's him.  It is a good solid body, like I said, I have kicked around getting it from him, because it wouldnt take much to make it a very nice car.  Even the flaps over the door glass still work right.  Its a great start.
Old, loud, and fast.

bossguy

Those 3 57 Sedan Deliveries sure looked good to me, but I'm not looking for another project.

Ford Blue blood

James the one I drug back from TX has real good "flippers", the vent window frames don't have any pits and the back side of the grill still has chrome on it.  Told a friend in Nashville that has a super nice 57 63A about that one south of me, he was real interested as he had seen it a few years ago when he and I ran down there for parts.  Next time he is down to my place we plan on running down to take a look at it again......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero