News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door/Window weatherstripping

Started by Frankenstein57, 2011-04-10 19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I'm working on my doors and windows, and have a couple of questions.On the door window felt, where your arm rests when you hang it out the window. The outer one snapped cleanly into the door, the one that attaches to the interior window frame comes bare without fasteners. Anyone glue it on? Looks like the stock one had staples. Next question, I ordered new door seals, I saw where they said glue them on with black weatherstrip adhesive. Anyone have a surefire product name? I just did the door window channel,couldn't find the dow corning 765 adhesive, tried something off the shelf. Bad move, it was a water based glue that worked like --hit!  Anyway, your sugestions are welcome. Mark

Partsman

For the door weatherstrip us 3M super weatherstrip adhesive.  It is available in black and amber.  Apply o both the door and the weatherstrip and let it dry and then attach to the door.  Be sure you gt it where you want it as once it is on there it is very hard to remove without damage.  On the belt weatherstrip(where your arm goes) I used very small pop rivets.  Any parts store should have the 3M product.
Good luck
Bill

RICH MUISE

Mark..Opps!! If you're refering to the Dow Corning product I was recommending in an earlier post on installing wing window glass the product number is 795...sorry if I posted the wrong number, however,That Dow Corning product probably wouldn't have worked anyway for adhearing weatherstripping. It's a product designed for use like a sealer where you might want to do something like installing the wing window glass into the stainless channel in place of a moulded gasket. It's used by window installers when they put those big ass store front windows into the aluminum frames..so your best bet for finding it would be a commercial glass house. All the recommendations I've seen for weatherstrip seals are the 3m product Partsman mentioned. I haven't gotten to the anti rattlers yet on my car so haven't looked into what's needed for the install, but, like partsman I would try something mechanical rather than just adhesive.  It would be nice if someone could design a replacement that would clip on like those fender sheetmetal speed nuts.  Anyway..just thinking outloud because as I said, I haven't gotten to them yet.
Just a thought on the weatherstrip install..If it's as hard to clean off as Partsman says, It might be faster and easier in the long run to mask off the area where the weatherstrip goes, just leaving a "path" for the adhesive.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

I used pop rivets.  Just lightly clamp the anti rattle in place with small vise grips, drill through both, put in the rivet and move the vise grips down to the next spot.  After you are don use an indelable black marker to color them and they just disappear.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

How many rivets did you put in ? Mark

Ford Blue blood

I spaced them the same as the staples were.  I used 1/4" long pop rivets, left a nice little nub on the back side that didn't interfere with anything.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II