I Need recommendation in NY for my upholstery install on my 57

Started by ptwood, 2011-04-13 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

Hi all
I am ready to have my Lebarron Bonney upholstery installed, I will do the panels but upholstery is beyond what I am comfortable with and I am told many of the newer upholstery installers use only foam and I have been told this is not the right or best way to do it.
I live on LI, I found a few that will do install but they only use foam and another who comes highly recommended and an old timer is way too high (qted $1700 labor only) for upholstery and carpet.. I can do the carpet too. I just thought since installer will remove seats they could do carpet while they are at it which I already purchased.
If there is anyone on this sight that lives in NY or nearby please let me know if you have anyone you can suggest.
After all the time, work (and $$) that my wife and I put into this project I'd hate to have the final and very important part of the project not be done well.
Thank you
Peter

tarheel57

ptwood,one thing you can do to make the price a little cheaper is if you have a pickup or someway to haul your seats to the upholstery shop, this way he will only be charging you to recover the seats and not time and labor to remove them and reinstall them.You will also get your seats back quicker,and can be putting your new carpet while you are waiting.We do this alot at our shop,and it saves us time and money.Tarheel57 :unitedstates:

RICH MUISE

1700. sounds absolutly outrageous to me for just installation and padding. I can't imagine it taking even a day for an experienced upholsterer for the seat covers. You didn't mention if your carpet was already cut and fitted for a '57 or if you had yardage, but I would think you should be able to cut the price down substantially, even given your high cost of living area. just my 2 cents. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised though, it's quotes like that that made me realize the only way I could afford a build was to do it myself.  rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

One thing that may change my above opinion...I just realized I don't know what you're working on...if it's a wagon (did they have a 3rd seat option?) with all the extra carpet and folding seats, etc. then it's obviously gonna be higher than a passenger car.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

bossguy

I have a customer with a approx 50 car collection. He uses a fellow I believe named Ron Jacks in the Brewster,  NY area where RT 684 and 84 intersect. Near Danbury, CT exit. He's done best of shoe Pierce Arrows, Woodies and Packards.

ptwood

Hello
thank you for the comments
went to another installer yesterday and to install the carpet and do the seats with burlap over springs - he then hog rings the springs to work in unison add foam and batting (removing old covers and what is there now) he wanted $1500, said it would be 2 days. The carpet is premolded type for the 57 Ford 2 Dr 63A hard top
still high it seems to me.. for what is involved certainly not a lot of material involved cost wise, obviously it s mainly labor.. at my estimate 2 days = 16 hrs = $100/hr...
I want it done right .. I know some friends who have had interiors done in the past were not happy...I have onemore place to get an estimate that is a recommended Lebarron installer, but they will probably will also use foam...??
does anyone have any comments on the right technique... Randy Connor who has helped me along with my redo with pats and info and he has a bunch of these 57's says using foam is not correct.. but I have yet to find anyone who knows anything else... the old cotton batting or hemp or whatever they used way back is a thing of the past.
Can any of you that have had their upholstery done tell me how it was installed..?? and what the upholsterer used under the LeBarron fabrics...
I appreciate your guidance feedback.
I am anxious to get this done but still a little hesitant until I have a better understanding of what the right way really is.
Thanks again for all the help
Peter

wildhog

Peter, Call Ron Murry at 215-289-0557 Ron is in philly and started A.B.C. auto and sold it to Lebaron Bonney,he will tell you what was and what can be done now. Also Leboron has an installer in Pa. named Vinnie ,that does a great job. I can find his number if you need it and he might be able to recamend some one closer. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

cool57

If you got your upholstery from L-B they have a list of "authorized" installers. That doesn't mean they'll be cheap but with the quality of L-B products I bet they have vetted the installers before recommending them.
(While I was typing this wildhog posted above...)

Tom, I have an upholstery kit from L-B for my '59. The closest L-B recommended installer is in Addison, IL http://www.addisonautointeriors.com/#!. Do you have any knowledge of them?

ptwood

Hello guys
thank you for the aded info.
I have spoken to Ron, that is a good suggestion. I have 1 more L-B recommended company to try. But there is another that I have not gone to based on poor recommendations and comments I rec'd from those that know of their work.
I will keep hunting... there has to be someone that can do it.
I'll keep you posted.
If you have the number for Vinnie and he can recommend someone he knows of here in NY that would be helpful too.
Someone recommended I send them out of state to someone that they used and did it right, seems a bit painful... but I am told Greyhound works well for shipping large pieces.
Peter