News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Do they make left and right wheels?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-04-20 08:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Saw a car yesterday that reminded me of this often unthought of subject. I'll bet about 97% of you guys that read the title of this post thought to yourself this has got to be the stupidest question ever. Well, believe it or not, the answer to the question is a definete yes. In 1995, I was looking at a set of wheels in a tire store for my 94 Mark viii. The Billet wheels were starting to get real popular about that time. I was looking at one set of wheels when a sales person came over and asked me if he could answer any questions. I pointed to one wheel on display and asked if they made right and left wheels. He said "no" while chuckling and then got a serious look on his face. "I've been doing this for 3 years, no one has ever asked that before." I explained the reason I asked was the wheel spokes had a spiral design (similar to ones later offered on Mark viii's oddly enough) like a pinwheel. If you put this wheel on the left side, I explained,it will spiral to the back like I think it should, but if you put it on the right side it will spiral to the front. The man called the manufacturer and found out on some designs they actually did make left and right wheels. That what comes on those Mark viii's, and occationally you will see one where  wheels have been put on the wrong side and they have one wheel spiralling clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. Nothing to do with '57 fords unless you're thinking about billet wheels....just an interesting item.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

it is usually marked on the inside of the wheel.also some tires are the same way

Lou

Late model Corvettes have left and right factory wheels.

Ford Blue blood

Yup, my 98 LSC had "directional" wheels.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II