News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carpet: molded or cut & sewn lay in

Started by cool57, 2011-04-19 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

cool57

Going to order new carpet. Original, as you know was a lay in style. The carpet companies now sell molded as well. I intend to get original loop style in an original color (blue). Question is; any advantage/disadvantage to molded over lay in? Also, is carpet for 64B(thin pillar sedan) same as for 63(hardtop)?

JimNolan

Cool57,
    Molded, molded, molded, molded, molded, molded, molded, molded, molded. Believe me. Molded, molded, molded, molded. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Lou

I've used both styles, I like the molded a little better because of the waterproof backing, and it's easier to install. All Fairlane and Fairlane 500s 2 door models share the same floor, so their carpets will interchange.

Zapato

I've done it both ways on past vehicles, molded is the best way to go. Be picky about padding, personally prefer jute but if that is unavailable use ragwool. both will allow moisture to wick out and dry. Foam padding will trap moisture and rust will soon take over.

Before installing the molded carpet pull it out of the box, spread it out,to let it relax. Ideal condition would be to lay it out on a warm sunny day. And don't skimp and buy the lower grades you won't be happy with the results.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

cool57

Thanks all. I ordered molded with jute.