News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Scissor Jack

Started by JimNolan, 2011-05-11 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Fellows,
   A friend of mine needed a tire taken off her car and repaired the other day so naturally I obliged her. Well, she had a big heavy 2002 Lincoln Town car and I figured it would be an ordeal. She had this scissor jack neatly stored in a pouch in the trunk. I took the jack out, placed it under the frame and used the handle that was neatly stored on the jack to raise the car. The car went up with no effort whatsoever. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't multiple levers either. Just one small screw. The top of the jack has a lip so you have no trouble knowing if the jack is aligned underneath the frame.
   To bring this to an end, I went on Ebay and bought one for my 57. They are a great little jack that doesn't take up very much space, flattens out and stores in a pouch. The ease of operation with a built in jack handle that doubles for a lug wrench is great too. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

hi Jim,  could u take a picture of the jack for us,   and wouldn't it be easier to go to a junk yard to find a jack???????????,   i have a friend that has a junk jard, tomorrow i'm going and check it out, c if i can find one,   c what your talking about,     jerry

JimNolan

Remember, 2002 Lincoln Town Car. I saw some other years and the jack looked different. Great little jack. Jim

JPotter57

All the pull a part junkyards around here told me that those things dont last.  Ebay sellers apparently swoop in and buy all that kind of stuff up.  I had to have a jack for wifes 01 suburban, same as yukon, sierra, etc.  Ended up buying one off ebay after looking for 3 weeks...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
    You know I'm not easily impressed. I've been on here long enough for everyone to know that. Gullable, but not easily impressed. This Lincoln scissor jack made a believer out of me. This one has a big footprint and a generous amount of pad area, folds up flatter than a pancake and has it's own pouch.  I refuse to put the bumper jack on the car, no telling which way the bumpers would point when I got through.
  The scissor jack I carried was big and no matter how much I greased the screw it was hard turning with weight on it. What am I saying, it was hard turning without weight on it and it was brand new when I bought it. The problem I had with my heavy duty arm breaking scissor jack is mostly cosmetic. Given the fact that I've only used it a couple times in the last 5 yrs the odds of me wearing one out seems unlikely. So besides being effortless to use this Lincoln jack can lay out in plain sight in the trunk of my car and not look like I'm carrying my garage with me. LOL Jim

geraldchainsaw

what arre the jackds going for at the junk yards???????????????????????

geraldchainsaw

awent to the junk yard,   2002's just arn't ready to be junked yet,  or at least not to many.   so i'll check ebay and c whats available

JPotter57

Jim, I'm not criticising yor jack choice at all, in fact I want one for my 57.  Just saying that they are hard to find in the boneyards here.  Certain groups of people here descend on the pull a part lots here like locust, removing everything man, and I mean everything.  You cant find a decent matching pair of bucket seats out of anything.  Glass, wiring, wheels, everything.  If it can be sold on craigslist or ebay it is being stripped.  The last time I went, there were no less tban 3 box vans sitting in the yard, dudes loading seats, glass, wheels, wiring harnesses, computers, engines/trans...you name itthese dudes were loading it.  Another reason jacks are hard to find is that due to insurance regs, they dont allow jacksin the yard, so they discard them into the scrsp metal bin.  Ebay is awesome for finding things like that.
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I think I paid about $65.00 for my Lincoln jack. But, if you're going to use this jack for everyday maintenance you might better listen to James about the longevity of this jack. I've got a good floor jack that I use when I'm working on my car. I intend to use this Lincoln jack the way it was intended to be used. I figure it'll hold up just fine for that.
  When I used my friends jack on her Lincoln it just impressed me how easily the side of that Lincoln went up in the air and how small the jack became for storage. We left the Lincoln jacked up for about four hours and it didn't fall or seem to change the jacks workability in any way. It impressed me. But, I want a jack that doesn't necessitate having to carry a breaker bar, extension and socket or 4 foot metal rods just to jack the car up. I was able to reach under the car and turn the screw with the small handle that comes with the jack without undue stress. I had to have an extension on my old scissor jack where I could be on the outside of the car just to have the strength to turn the screw. This Lincoln jack enabled me to raise the car without all the extensions and sockets. Now I can get rid of that wooden box that I carried all that crap in. One less inconvieniance at a car show. Jim

JimNolan

James,
    I sent my last post while you were sending yours. After knowing you as long as I have I wouldn't take anything you said as critisim. I will heed your words about the longivity of this jack. Jim

JPotter57

Oh, I see what I said now.  I meant that those jacks dont hang around the yards long, they will probably last our lifetime as far as durability goes.  The man at pull a part said that jack packs are the first things to leave when they get a a car in.  Some of the bigger lots actually sell the jack pacs, mini spares, radios and stuff like that at tbe cashiers station.  I was at one in Mobile AL and they were selling used antifreeze up front , something like $3 gallon.
Sorry about the confusion I caused with that statement, lol....
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way Jim, you got a better deal on the jack from ebay than I did...I had to pay the man$100 for one for Mistys Suburban....
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   Nice talking to you this morning. I'm glad to find out the jack is OK. I didn't mean to take what you said the wrong way. As far as price goes I thought $65 was salty.
   Just to make sure it fit and worked just as well on my 57 as it did on the Lincoln I tried it out at the hanger. Worked great and the lug wrench that come with it fits the 57 lug nut also. Another nice thing about the jack was you could tell it hadn't been used. I guess people that drive Lincolns don't want to get dirty rotating tires.
   So Jerry, dont' be afraid to get one. Jim

Frankenstein57

Jim, James, You guys need something like that let me know. My brother scraps alot of late model stuff, he doesn't sell on craigslist or ebay, the wife doesn't want to deal with all the strangers.  Mark