News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

MEMORIAL DAY

Started by wildhog, 2011-05-29 11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhog

TAKE A MINUTE TOMORROW TO REFLECT ON WHAT THIS REALLY MEANS. SAY A PRAYER FOR OUR YOUNG PEOPLE IN HARMS WAY, AND TAKE THE TIME TO THANK SOMEONE THAT HAS SERVED. A BIG THANK YOU TO THE GUYS ON THIS SITE, JOB WELL DONE!!!! TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Zapato

Will do,but remember Memorial Day is about honoring the fallen. However it never hurts to thank a vet for his service. I didn't hear that till almost 30 years after Nam and it was so shocking it left me speechless. It sounds a bit hollow to say it but if offered with respect and gratitude it does feel great.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Zap I too endured the "shame" of being in uniform after coming back in 68, mostly the big city and air ports with their fringe freaks, home town was good as half my graduating class males (16 of us) ended up over there in 68 or 69 and encountered the same thing.  But I must admit I reveled in the return after the Golf War as we were in NYC during fleet week and it was impossible to buy a beer or a meal.  Not sure that made up for the pain of 68 but it did help.

The Vets I really feel for are those caught up in the body swap time frame.  You were sent to fill a billet vice entire units being sent.  Those guys had no de-compression time and I don't give a crap about how many degrees you have unless you have been there you don't know and can't possibly understand.  So there was nobody for them to release the horrible experiances they had.  I was lucky, stayed in and had lots of folks (and beers) to heal with and managed to make it through three more little "actions" prior to retireering.

So we need to remember those that did not return as well as those that did returne but not the same whole person they were when they left.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hogwagon

Class of 69-70 here. I see these kids doing it now on a regular basis as we are a military town and it's tough since we do have an understanding of what it's like.

JPotter57

We are remembering those fine young men who gave their lives for this great country.  I am taking my kids to the Biloxi National Cemetery today for the ceremony, to make sure they see what today is really about.  I want all of them, from the youngest to the oldest to be fully aware that their freedoms came at great cost, and they should feel indebted to our fallen soldiers for making that ultimate sacrifice.  Thank you gentlemen, for serving, and I am honored to know you guys, if only on this forum.  Maybe some day, I will be fortunate enough to meet all of you.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Mr. Potter from one patriot to another, to you and yours "Your Welcome".

Zapato

shopratwoody

That's a GOOD thing you're doing James. I have a cousin on The Wall myself. R.I.P. Mike
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

That was a sobering experience, fellas.  When they gave the 21 gun salute and played taps, it was hard not to think about all those families represented by the markers lined in formation there.  It was a little overwhelming to say the least.  It was an experience I plan to make a permanent part of our Memorial Day activities from now on. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Taps well played is one of the few things that can bring me to tears. Hope the experience wasn't too hard on your kids.

Zapato

shopratwoody

TAPS gets me every time :unitedstates:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

And me as well....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

A few years back we visited the National Viet Nam Veterans Memorial in Angelfire, New Mexico. Never bawled so hard in  my life. There is something very powerful and healing on that mountain top. Was life changing for me. Somehow a couple hours there gave me a renewed peace. for the first time realized how blessed i was to have returned alive,well and sane. highly recommend it if your anywhere close to Angelfire that you stop and heal yourself.

Zapato