News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What to apply on the back-side of bumpers?

Started by hrsky, 2011-07-12 04:28

Previous topic - Next topic

hrsky

Hi.  I have just bought a newly chromed rear bumper for my Skyliner.  Any advise on what to apply on the back-side of the bumper to keep it fresh and not rusting? Thanks, HR.

RICH MUISE

HR...short answer..I've never done it before but your problem I would guess would be finding something that will adhere to chrome. Maybe a rattlecan of "wheel coating" made to protect the shiney stuff? I'm thinking of the dupli-color brand they sell at auto stores. You might also check to see if maybe Eastwood has a product for that.

long answer...it's interesting you brought this up because earlier this year I was looking at a rechromed bumper at the Pate swap meet in Fort Worth.(I think I remember them from Cal. and it was "Bumper something or other"). anyway..it was wrapped up and the price was right so I asked them to unwrap it so I could check it. I told them if it was good I'd buy it. They started cutting the cardboard off it, exposing the backside of the bumper and I imediatly noticed a grouping of what appeared to be bubbles..and sure enough..that's what they were. I told them they could stop there..I wasn't interested.They actually looked shocked when I pointed out the bubles. They replied there were no bubles on the front side, and I could paint over the back of the bumper and no one would see them. I figure bubbles on the back side indicated poor prep work prior to plating , and was an indication of future problems with the front side. This probably has nothing to do with your question about protecting the backside, but shouldn't a bumper have as much copper, nickel and chrome on the backside as it does on the frontside?..and therefore as resistant to rust. or maybe they have some way of excluding the copper from depositing on the backside to save them money..but it's the copper that provides the adhesion qualities to the bumper so the nickel will stick to it.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I have painted the back side of bumpers with Rustolium Red Oxide primer (the good stuff from the late 60's).  Most of them had a texture and were not finished well at all so I expect the paint stuck.  Couldn't begine to tell you how long they stayed good as I never pulled them off the car (62 Corvette) prior to selling it.  POR-15 might be a good try....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cool57

I used a silver or "aluminum" rattle can. i don't remember brand, it's been twenty years, the backside has held up better than the chrome.

shopratwoody

I used black enamel. seems to be ok.
I hate blocksanding!

hrsky

Thank you for the replies.  The bumper looks very good, but the backside is more rough so i think its a good idea to paint the backside to prevent it from rusting. I'll probably go for a silver color.  Thank you again. HR