News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Last day of work

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-07-23 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I started as a Ford electronics tech, now an ET for the ANG/Air Force.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

bossguy

I started working in a Ford dealer parts dept in 69, 42 yrs later I'm still at it.
i'm obsessed with retiring but it's looking like another 4 or 5 years. I know I'll never buy a Winnebago and tour the country but as long as I'm not living under a bridge and dumpster diving for my meals I'll be happy.
My son has 4 more years of study to be a pharmacist and when he settles down we'll build our dream garage. I know it won't be in NY though!

shopratwoody

I retired from the Motion Picture Industry in 2001. Gave me time to completly re do my
Ranchero from it's racing years to a driver again. I take a lot of naps and cruise it
to shows etc with Sweetie. I guess this is what's left of the "Good Ol Days".
It's great!
Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Spent 6 years in the Navy as a Nuclear Electrician.  Over 3 years of that was in Idaho, teaching officer and enlisted nucs how to operate a submarines nuclear electrical and steam plant.  Interesting work, but with a wife and 2 kids, I was looking forward to 14 solid years of sea duty and decided to try civilian life.  Used the Navy training to get a job at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and worked there for 6 years while getting a bachelors in Earth Science (loved geology) and later a masters degree in Public Administration.  Couldn't get a job in the geologic or environmental fields and after teaching the nucs knew I wasn't cut out to be a teacher.  Wound up using the MPA to get a job in municipal personnel administration and have been in personnel jobs for the last 34 years, ending up as a Personnel Director for school districts.  In some respects similar type of work, just classifying people instead of rocks & fossils. (lol)  Retired December 2008, but still am working slightly less than 1/2 time as an hourly employee (no work, no pay, no benefits) to fund the projects that straight retirement won't.

Bob
57 AGIN

F570RD

"I'll sand for an hour or two then go take a 1/2 hr. nap"! LOL
Nap'n is very popular for this boy.I've worked for the U of Minnesota for just over 30 years as a building mechanic.Reparing barn cleaners on the AG campus was one of many things.City boy goes to the farm :002:.I'm now dealing with chilled water systems.4 years to go with some luck.

Zapato

A friend of mine told me all a guy needed to retire were in this order.
a) wife that works
b) a great recliner
c) a large screen tv

pretty lame if you ask me

I had much earlier told my wife I needed to acquire 3 things before retiring
a) a true 57 Ford business coupe
b) a metal lathe
c) a car lift

Found and purchased the 57 after a long search. Found and purchased a Dayton #1 lathe along with a small mill (both made in the USA). Shortly after retirement found and purchased a 10,000 lb USA made 2 post lift.

Now all I need is to finish our home addition, finish shop wiring, and get busy on the 57.

truly believe my priorities made a lot more sense that the other choices, plus I pretty much already had the other 3.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Jerrys Kars

Wow! Only on a 57 Ford site will you find a thread like this. Instead of "Last day of work" should be " Last day you get paid for work". Three yrs ago got my first SS check, guess that makes me retired. Electrician for 46 yrs. 35 of that as electrical contractor. Still working part time for a few old customers to supplement SS and my ever growing needs as an old car old guy. Thought I could make some money reselling old cars, never worked out but had some fun. Now I'm working a lot less, making a lot less money, and having a lot more fun. Spending way too much time at the local "watering" hole.
Jerry

Zapato

Quote from: Jerrys Kars on 2011-07-26 11:29
Instead of "Last day of work" should be " Last day you get paid for work".

You're absolutely right Jerry, I find I'm just as busy most days now and some days even more. The plus side is the boss is a lot cuter and much more fun.  But the pay just isn't what it used to be.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

But you do have to be careful not to fall into the "TUIT" trap!  Thats where you say and think "I'll let that go for right now, I have plenty of time and can get around TUIT later".  Those nasty ol TUITs have a habit of stacking up might fast!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

I retired 7 years ago, and looking back, I don't know how I ever had time to go to work.  Loving it!   John