News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear brake drums, what years???

Started by Limey57, 2011-12-28 12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I have two new drums for my 57 Ranchero but one is chipped  :angry4: .  To help me source a new one over here, can anyone tell me what other years/models using this axle use the same drums, or are they unique to 57's?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Limey..someone else will have to answer your question on which years will work..but just a heads up..I do believe not all '57's are the same. If I remember correctly the wagons and Rancheros had wider drums and shoes than the passenger cars.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

deereford

hi, According to my Hollander interchange 57-59 SW, SD, Ranchero, Retract,taxi, police, 58 Edsel SW, 59 Edsel, 60 Edsel, 60 Ford Pass, & 59&60 T-bird should fit. Kind of a limited selection. Good luck hunting. Brad

Limey57

Thanks guys, all pretty rare over here but theres a few old-timer salvage yards that are full of cars left by ex-US Servicemen that brought their cars over here with them & dumped them when they returned home.  Most of the bodies are completely rusted away, but brake drums might be okay, if I can get them off!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Alex L.

I doubt that 50 year old junkyard brake drums are going to be better than what you already have.

shopratwoody

A couple years ago Briney mentioned the replacement rear drums he got were thicker in the center
than the originals. Longer studs were used, less clearance I'm sure. His rear radius were big anyway
so probably didn't bother his. Check it out before changeing
I hate blocksanding!

deereford

Hi, I got to thinking, and if the chip isn't to bad, round off the edges with a die grinder and don't worry about it. Very few people will ever see it, and shouldn't be a safety concern. If it's an inspection thing, fill in with metal epoxy and paint over it. Good luck and happy new year. Brad

Limey57

Thanks everyone.  I tapped each drum with a spanner to see if they "rang" the same or whether the chipped one was just a dull "thud".  Both sounded exactly the same so I'm doing as Brad suggests and just rounding off the sharp edges with a die grinder.

Happy New Year folks.
Gary

1957 Ranchero