News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

cracked lower a-arm

Started by Marc, 2007-08-05 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So, I pull off the right spindle to get started on the disc brake swap. Things are going good until I take a look at the suspension. There's a crack on the lower right a-arm, on the forward side running from the bottom, straight up and almost to the ball joint bolt hole.
Is it safe to just weld the crack & go, or should I start looking around for a replacement?

shopratwoody

IMO it probably be welded, but seeing how you got it apart I'd look for another one. Maybe save a headache
later on. Should'nt be expensive.
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Marc

Thanks Ron. I've been leaning toward a replacement, and I can always screw around with the old one later just to see how it comes out. Time to head on over to the classified section!

Ford Blue blood

I would weld it as they are nothing but stamped mild steel.  Just clean the area around the crack real well, grind the crack open, hit it with high heat in short burst letting it cool a little between hits and of course clean it between hits as well.  Should last another 50 years!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Marc

Hi Bill,
I just found another one for a good price. The old one will be cleaned up, welded, and put on the shelf for a spare. Thanks!