Ranchero/Station Wagon fuel Gauge sending units... Need pics, what the differanc

Started by Dakota, 2011-08-12 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota

I bought a sending unit from macs and thought i could at least make it work, but im having trouble getting it to read right.

I need to see what the arm and Stops look like on a factory SW/Ranchero sending unit.   

If someone has a factory unit that works id be interested in maybe purchasing it too.

thanks!

Hot Rodders are the True Artists, Restorers just paint by number. ~ Luanne Rosenow

KnottGarage

I haven't dropped my tank yet, but I am planning on using the rod off the old one and the electronic sender from a new one with a new float.  The gas gauge uses the same OHM reading for all the different body styles, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. When i pull the tank I can post some pictures of the sending unit.  With a picture and some measurements it should be easy to adapt a different model sending unit. 
1957 Del Rio
1958 Del Rio
1959 Ranch Wagon

billpatton

Did you ever resolve your sending unit problem?  I am trying to find a sending unit for my wagon which I understand is the same as Ranchero and can forward you a photo of it.  Bill Patton

xsilencex

i know this is an old post but if anyone searches i hope my experience can answer thier question.

my original sending unit was garbage, way to rusted to save. i ordered a fairlane one. i bent the arm slightly and was able to get it to read accuratley. the biggest issue was that ranchero's use the turn syle lock down as oppose to the screw in lock down. i bought a new bigger o ring and slightly bent down the tabs for the lock in and have had no issues. I have seen someone make a plate and drill and tap it to completely switch to the fairlane style sending unit.

jrw429

Good info, thanks. Do you have any photos you'd be willing to share?

xsilencex

I can get pictures of mine but tossed the original one awhile ago and i'll try refinding the post that I had seen on another forum of the modification to make it a screw in as opposed to the rotation lock down style.