News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

winter storing

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-10-22 08:27

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

with the gas we're getting now,  and i don't have drains on the bottom of the gas tanks,   what advise would u give?,  thanks,   jerry

Lou

Don't drain the gas dry, as no gas my cause the gaskets in the carb to shrink. I mix up 2 or 3 gallons of gas in a gas can with 150% of the recomended "Stay-bill" and 2 cans of dry gas. Shake can to mix, pore into gas tank, then drive car 5 or 6 miles (At least 20 mins) to mix with gas in car and to draw up into the carb. If possable start and run your car every 6 to 8 weeks for 20 mins. I've stored my cars this way for years and never had a problem.

JimNolan

Ditto on what Lou said.
     Let me add this, do not start an engine without letting it completely warm up the oil and water. I rebuilt an engine and let my painter keep it for about 6 months. The valves seized because of a chalky powdery substance and bent two valves and two valves had to be replaced because they were rusted. He also bent a push rod in the old 390 for the same reason. You can't just start them up, move them five foot and then shut them off again. After bending push rods in two engines while the painter kept the car 1 1/2 years, I figure that's the reason. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

sprink88

So let it warm up real nice, till the temp gauge gets to normal, right?
~Chris

JimNolan

Right, let it heat up. Lycoming had a suggestion when flying a plane with one of their motors in it. Whenever the motor is started, let it run until the oil themperature reached 180 degrees to make sure the moisture was burnt out of the engine. Since their cheapest engine costs over $25,000.00 I followed their instructions. Morsture in an engine isn't a new thing, I just never had it cause me problems until now and I really don't know if it's the gas we are using or what.  Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

thanks for all the info guys,   am i getting confussed with E85 that has water in it?    jerry   

gasman826

E10 = 10% ethanol added to pump gas...former standard Michigan mix for 87 pump gas
E15 = 15% ethanol added to pump gas...pretty much the standard in Michigan
E85 = 85% ethanol added to any gas that the distributor wants to mix up

Without heavy fuel system and timing modifications, you want nothing to do with E85.  Not a bad product just not for your car.

As far as 87 pump gas/E15, maintain the fuel system as it should have been for active driving and long term storage.  Moisture will destroy any traditional fuel system.  Unfortunately, ethanol or methanol with assorb moisture from the air.  Traditional fuel systems are vented to the air.  Moisture from this air will mix with gas and more so with gas with ethanol in it.  Use of these produces requires fuel system maintenance.  Over time, gas as well as ethanol will damage gaskets.  Cork was a poor excuse for gasket material and floats but was cheap.  Most cork gaskets have disappeared from the market and should not be in your fuel system.  Rubber hoses, especially under pressure, should be eliminated.

RICH MUISE

an easier way...just move to the south....but more south than me to get away from the winter weather.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup....I run em year round here in Bama....Rich just to add a little fuel :003:....my taxes on a 2200 sq.ft. brick ranch (3 br/3 bath/2 car attached) sitting on 3 acres with thw 30 X 30 work shop are $875....the south ain't too bad :003:.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Jerry, I've had good luck using seafoam to treat fuel for storage. I make sure I drive the vehicle around to get it all through the fuel system. Where it really showed well, was in 2 cycles. Snowmobiles, lawn care engines. Sorry I didn't respond to your question about the outdoor storage, I have been working long hours, with winter coming. Was at the paint shop tonight, but everyone was gone.  As long as we are on the subject of winter storage, some old timers recommend covering concrete floors with plastic. My shop is in the lower level of an old barn, I heat it when I'm in there , and it never drops below freezing. Any thoughts on this,  Mark

lowrider

I'm with Rich. Moved from Mi. to Az. Cant wait until it snows back there so I can rub it in.

Zapato

Quote from: lowrider on 2012-10-26 07:37
I'm with Rich. Moved from Mi. to Az. Cant wait until it snows back there so I can rub it in.

A good friend of mine's family came out west during WW2, dad working security for the FBI in the Portland shipyards. After the war he opened up a florist shop. Every year for Christmas the grandparents would send the kids new sweaters which of course were never worn till the 25th. After opening presents and having breakfast his Dad would head off to the florist shop and grab a few dozen flowers. He'd stick them on some bushes in front of the porch. Next came pictures of him and his brother in front of the ''blooming bush'' of course in their new Christmas sweaters.Pictures sent out quickly so they would be received by New Years with a looking forward to a mild spring and complaining about how hard winter had been to his flower beds message. His way of teasing the folks back home who were dealing with yet another typical frozen winter.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

Here in Mississippi, winter lasts about a week, so we just take the key out, and let it sit for a day or so..   :icon_super:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57 Ford Kustom

In Vt winter starts mid November, last till mid May. You don't bring your ride out of the garage till June!
Feel sorry for me? bawl
Tim  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.