News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

y blocks

Started by wv 57s forever, 2007-09-27 12:25

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

wv 57s forever

wow that worked out nice. i would like any info i can get on y blocks what to look for, what to look out for, want to get a motor for a 57 i have that has none, mostly want to race with y blockers at Columbus thanks a lot in advance

Marc

Like any engine, the wider you open your wallet, the faster you can go! If you want to race, your best bet would be to find a 292 block and turn down the main journals on a 312 crank to fit in there. this can get expensive, and sometimes it's hard to find a competent machinist to do  the crank work.
    Using a complete 312 can be expensive as well, and not really worth the extra $$$ for the extra cubes (in my opinion). Otherwise, there's plenty of power to be found using a 292 block, crank, a blue thunder intake, and some nice ECZ-G or 113 heads.
   Check out John Mummert's website: www.ford-y-block.com
   He's got all kinds of good info there, as well as charts to help you identify blocks, heads, cranks, etc. He'll also build a short block for you if you want to go that route.
Also check out www.y-blocksforever.com . Lots of good, friendly folks there who can help you out. The forum has been down for a few days while they change to a new server. I don't know if it's up yet.

Ford Blue blood

Street Rodder did a Y-Block build a few years ago.  They put out some pretty good numbers and had very good discussions about the ins and outs of the engine.  Check their web site to find out which issues etc.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II