News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

may have a lead on a good tailgate

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-11-27 20:39

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I talked to Owens Salvage today (flat top Bob on the HAMB) and am heading out that way tommorrow to check it out. They do not allow customers to roam the yard, but he told me he'd give me the guided tour when I got there..kinda psyched about that. He told me they only had a couple '57's, but a handful of '58's. I specifically asked about tailgates for wagons or Ranchero's because I knew a few of the guys had been looking for one. He said he had a good wagon tailgate, so I'll check it out, get a price and take some pics. I'm going to try and get ahold of my friend in Lawton that has 30+ '57's and a restoration shop to see if he's going to be around tommorrow and make a day of it....I need a roadtrip!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

I wish we still had yards like that here, nowadays you're lucky to find a 15 year old Toyota, H&S legislation put an end to all the old yards full of interesting stuff.  Due to the high number of US servicemen over here there used to be lots of yards full of interesting US cars, scrapped by the guys when they returned back to the US.  The wet climate soon rusted them out, but it was quite an experience to go to the back of the yard and just be able to make out tail-fins & wrap-around windshields through the grass.....
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Had to pay off a couple warrants yesterday to keep a friend out of jail, so I got a late start on my trip..made it to Owens Salvage, but not Lawton. Bob Owens does have a pretty good tailgate for a Ranchero, and the price is right...$250. It's had some light bondo work, but appears to be on a small dent, some poking in that area of lifting bondo revealed the dent, the Bondo being a 1/16 or so thick, the dent was small, so should be no problem. There is however 3 or 4 pinhole rust areas along the bottom edge of the skin. One of the pinholes is at the bottom of the once-bondoed bare spot. Only a stripping of the tailgate will of course reveal the whole story. I would think at worst condition, a strip of new sheetmetal may be needed, or the best way to go' for a restoration job. It is by far the best one I've seen. Sorry to say, I only got 2 pics of it...don't know what I was thinking. If I were looking for one, I'd jump on it and hope for the best. My buddy at the restoration shop says he's seen them for 6-800 for a preemo, so the 250 asked I think is great.

RICH MUISE

Bill, if you're still looking for a lower panel, this one is also dented, but not as bad as the one in Phoenix. Couldn't see all of it because the tailgate was still attached.

Ford Blue blood

I am....was going to ask you about it yesterday but AT&T took down my internet early in the morning for a 1PM upgrade appointment....but yes, take a good look and see if it is half way decent.  Thanks Rich, Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Rich, how is the rest of that ranchero? I need a solid body for my 57, prefer the firewall back.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark...it wouldn't be a good candidate. I was surprised the tailgate was as good as it was looking at the rest of the body....at least the rear quarters. Doors may have been good?? I'll keep my eyes open down here. Bob was driving me around the yard in his pickup, so I didn't get into the habit of snapping tons of pics as I normally do...don't know what I was thinking..that's why I went there.