News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Noob

Started by Re$urrected57, 2012-12-07 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

quote:"Well Zap, looks like Rich has some mad skills on upholstery, he won't have to buy any bigger hats, he could just make him one."
 Thanks,but to be honest, and so not to take away from the guys that do, I don't have any upholstery skills, and I'm being as truthful as I can be. What you see is the result of a lot of careful designing around the fact that I don't have these skills, and had to come up with something that I could do as I couldn't afford to bring it to an upholstery shop. That's the reason for the purchased headliner and oem seats. If you look at my side panels, dash and console, you will not see any seams. It's not because I didn't want any, it's because I can't sew. So, if somebody likes it, I'll take credit for the design and color selections and for being clever enough to work around my ignorance. The rest was fabrication, and stretching vinyls, to me not upholstery in the real sense, really, but just craftsy stuff. This is one of those "you can do it things".
This week, or next week I'm going to do the passenger side door panel. When I do, I'll take pics and post them.
It's getting down to 15 tonight...left a space heater on in my garage..hate this cold crap.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Quote from: Re$urrected57 on 2012-12-09 14:28
Well Zap, looks like Rich has some mad skills on upholstery, he won't have to buy any bigger hats, he could just make him one. 

Just know I'm going to like this guy, welcome aboard NOOB.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Re$urrected57 on 2012-12-09 14:28
I don't think I seen that article of the 57 in the Rodder's Journal.  Which issue is it in?  Have you all picked up the February 2013 issue of Street Rodder yet.  Looks like someone has figured out the madness of the 4.6l fuel delivery.  The article is called Old-School Modular.  Looks like they have a manifold adapter where you can run a 302 intake and use a carburetor.  Now that is something to think about. 

Ok Rich has me sold on the 4.6L engine swap for my Custom 300.  I looked in the engine section and read up on all of the ideas into the swap.  It seems all of the research is there.  Does anyone have complete pics of the 4.6L swap?

Well Zap, looks like Rich has some mad skills on upholstery, he won't have to buy any bigger hats, he could just make him one. 
Not sure what issue it was..it was at the newstand Wednsday.
I'd sure like Bill's thoughts on the swapping to a carbuated version. Does that eliminate the need for the engine control harness and computer? I wondered about reliability efi vs. carb....having a comment in mind that was made by Bill stating the reason for the longevity of the new moters was due to the engine management. So would that be lost swapping to a carburator set-up?
As far as pics go for the 4.6 swap, go back to the thread with 10k reads, and look for Bob Claborn's link (in blue) to his photo albums

Ford Blue blood

Just finished reading the article.  It does require an after market electronics system to provide spark and timing.  No idea of the cost as it was not mentioned.  Hot Rod Haven is the outfit doing the retro fit of carbs to the 32V 4.6 and 5.4 engines.  The ONLY reason for doing that IMHO is for killer looks!  The exact fuel and timing control is what gives EFI engines their drivability, longevity and outstanding responce across the RPM range of the engine.  Carbs are at best an "average" calculation for fuel/air mixture, EFI maintains a pretty much flat across the RPM/load range fuel/air mixture and has instant optimal timing with changing load conditions.

Nope, EFI and electronic transmission control are it for street cars. 

How can you beat a 5200 lb truck pulling a 1500 lb trailer with a 3500 lb car on it getting 14 MPG round trip through the mountains,  A 4.6 3V EFI and an electronicly controlled 6 speed automatic in a F150 is how you get there.  Never happen with a carb equiped truck.  My 73 F150 was living proof.

How can you beat 502 rear wheel HP, 21 MPG@75, ice cold A/C, excellent street manners and a killer sound system?  Never get that with carbs!  My 70 Boss 302, (307 RWHP), no A/C, AM/FM radio that was only good sitting still and a hand full on the street (although very cool!) was living proof.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Some times the truth just hurts. Killer response Bill, thanks. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, but wanted to know for sure. I have a feeling there would be a hood clearance issue anyways.
The problem I had with the article, it was low on tech info..before and after HP and torque,gas mileage,costs,etc.
I think but with what you said,said(?) the new equipt. avail in that article is going to make for a rise in usage of the Mods for open hood/side rods. Maybe next thing we'll see is a set of cast aluminum finned valve covers. Hate to think what the cost would be on those puppies.
One interesting thing I did take from the article was the width to length ratio compared to traditional motors, with not only the ratio being different, but the 4.6 actually being 3 or 4 inches shorter than the 302.

Limey57

$1500????  I guess that's a prime example of being in the right place at the right time!  Nothing wrong with 4 doors (apart from having two extra doors to repair the bottom edges.....).  I'm yet to find a problem that this site doesn't have an answer for so you're in the right place!

What condition is it in & what do you want from it at the end?  For an every day daily driver an injected small block with a 6 speed manual transmission would be good, lowered a couple of inches, disc brakes, rack & pinion steering, etc, etc.  One of my own talents is mentalling spending other folks money!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Re$urrected57

Yes appreciate the response Bill.  I read more into it and it seems like more trouble than its worth to convert it over to carburetor.  I guess I will stick to the FI engines. 

Yeah I guess you can say I was in the right place.  The funny thing is that the guy that sold it to me, said that he had been asked several times to sell it, but kept telling them no, he finally got tired of being bothered.  I look forward to my first 4 door restoration, you don't see many out there, so that alone will be worth it. 

As far as the condition goes, its in better shape than I expected.  Being outside for the past year has really accelerated the small amount of rust present.  The normal areas that you would see rust, but not too bad where you would have to cut out sections and replace.  Everything is still present, the engine runs, all electrical works.

My plans for the car is to go with a sleeper look, 4.6L with automatic.  Depends on the donor car, looking at the option of using the interior to replace the 57's.  So many options available, but I expect to nail it all down by end of this month.  I will probably start tear down January.  We will see....